Lough Swilly, Laurentic

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Lough Swilly, Laurentic

Postby paulbryson75 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Gents,
First visit of the Season to the wreck of the Laurentic today, very good it was too, absolutly packed with pollack, nothing massive but plenty upto the 6-7lb mark. Very quiet over high water with the fish coming on the feed as the drift increased, bigger fish very tight to the wreack with the smaller ones and coalies feeding well above the structure, short drifts as absolutly nothing doing once you got a few hundred mtrs away from the wreck (ain't plotters great!) Only 2 of us fishing and would have easily exceed 50 pollack in 3 hours - quite a few small coalies about also.
The pollack much prefered their usual diet of Red Fire tail worms than the new Storm Shads I recently purchased - thought they where going to be the killer.
All in all a top day, good weather, good craic and plenty of fish.
Tried further up the lough earlier in the week, very quiet this early though got a few plaice upto just over 1lb drifting around the salmon cages on sandeel tipped with squid. No sign of any skate yet though.
Also seems to be quiet a few guys shore fishing up at Fahan in the channel leading to the marina, not sure what they are after but has been lots of activity all week? Any ideas on what they are catchning appreciated???
Cheers & Tight lines
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

beach fishing Fahan

Postby Eamon Molloy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:17 pm

I read Paul Bryson on fishing the Laurentic
Iwas down at Fahan today 3rd April and asked one of about 8 anglers what they were fishing for and was told Ray (A lady caught an 8lb one last week), Dogfish, Gurnet. They were fishing at lowish water and cast into the channel. It turned out that the man i spoke to had traveled from Belfast to fish at Fahan and does so regularly.
Eamon Molloy

Postby arthurg » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:13 am

It is a well-known spot for Thornies.
arthurg

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports