Open season, Cork harbour 15June09

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Duration:2.5hrs
Tide: 1hr up to 3.5hrs up
Weather: Nice
Bait: Live launce
Rigs: Running leger, feathers, sabiki's, plugs:

Made the effort to get out this evening to celebrate the end of the close season. Started out in the channel looking for mackeral but there was no sign of them in the 20 minutes or so that I buzzed around, the water was very dirty which probably wasnt helping. I managed to pick up a launce foul hooked on the feathers , I changed to the sabikis and even though there was plenty more showing on the sounder there was no interest.

Armed with the single live bait buzzed over to a favourite spot, hooked up the launce and down he went. In true greedy predator style got a take after about a 30 seconds. He put up a bit of a fight before I got him to the boat and lifted him out by the gob. 2kgs on the scales. Nice fish but seemed a bit skinny for the length of him.

Stopped of at a very fishy spot on the way back in and plugged for a while but no sign of any bass, just the usual hoardes of mullet.

Sorry no pics.....again.

Re: Open season, Cork harbour 15June09

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:59 pm

15th of june dont end till 12 midnight tonight i hope you were not targeting bass in the closed season :shock:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:03 pm

You beat me to the punch John

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 pm

shamoo0804 wrote:You beat me to the punch John

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 pm

Open season about to start in 30 minutes...and I'm off. (i'm sure it was a genuine mistake by Cobhscot as a lot of people, including people on this site, are under the mistaken assumption that the season opens on the 15th.)

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 am

Plenty of people fishing all through the closed season, lots fishing brittas for the psat month
and its not too well known for many species, also heard of a 10lb bass taken in Wicklow yesterday (Sunday 14th). Makes you wonder eh!.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:18 am

ill be trying in the morning in dublin bay . fingers crossed there will be a few about

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:49 am

Pat wrote:Open season about to start in 30 minutes...and I'm off.

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:30 am

Nice one Pat :lol: you must love your bass fishing

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 pm

JOHN1 wrote:15th of june dont end till 12 midnight tonight i hope you were not targeting Bass in the closed season :shock:

Looks like I jumped the gun... my mistake

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:33 pm

So long as its an honest mistake hey :wink:

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:05 pm

thescotsman wrote:Nice one Pat :lol: you must love your Bass fishing

I have the bug bad....have had it for years now; incurable apparently :shock: . Went out again this evening, headed for a sheltered shore mark I haven't fished for years - only a mile or two from Midleton as the crow flies :wink: . Rumour has it that it has been throwing up a few giltheads. Well anyway was rewarded with a few bass...all small though, biggest was 51cm :D .