Kilmore Quay 14th March

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:27 pm

People: 8 lads on a Stag

Duration: 11.30 – 3.30

Weather: perfect conditions, small swell, very pleasant day.

Bait: mackeral, lug

Rigs: Hokkais (various colours & sizes) Cod catcher (didn’t last long)

Results: 8 Pollack, 7 Coalies

Report: We went on a mates stag day/ night to Kilmore Quay. I was there late last year and had a ball, so suggested it to the stag, who took the bait. I got recommendations and phone numbers from this site, so thanks to those who made suggestions. We went with John Deveraux and I can highly recommend him. He was brilliant. 7 of the 8 had never fished before. John knew the spots where fish would be caught. He set up the rods with rigs for everyone (bar me as I brought my own stuff). He freed any caught rigs, he de-hooked fish for some. And he entertained those less interested in fishing be regaling stories to them as we motored.

We were only out for about 4 hours and that included a trip around the Saltee Islands so I’d say no more than 90 minutes of actual fishing was done. I’d have liked more fishing time, but with first timers I didn’t particularly mind.

Besides which I caught easily my biggest fish to date which was a 3.3 lb, 44cm Pollack. I caught him on the same rig as a 32cm, 2.2 lb Pollack so the fight was brilliant getting the two of them in the boat. The tug on the rod when they both took the bait was amazing. I’m sure these guys are small by any standards, but they were way bigger than any of the tiddlers I’ve caught from the shore to date. Even last time in Kilmore I caught two gurnard, but they were much smaller.

The other suggestion was Paint balling. How glad I am he listened to me!

Notice the Lidl gear in the photo. The box is the knife set and the weighing scales/ tape measure is just in view. Works fine.

PS. I should add, John quoted us a price for the day's fishing. Rod hire was €10 per head on top and we used 6. We must have lost at least 8 of his rigs and he provided bait of mackerel & squid. Although we were only out for 4 hours, we scheduled him for the day and so expected to pay for the day. Inclusive of bait, rods & lost rigs, he charged us €40 less than the quoted price for the boat. Top class!

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/boats%20-%20wexford.htm

He's 7th on the list on the above page for anyone interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Kilmore Quay 14th March

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm

once ye had a good time and caught a few fish its not so bad and you might have changed a few lads minds on sea fishing i hope the can was empty when you took pic :wink: :wink:

Re: Kilmore Quay 14th March

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:18 pm

Indeed. A good time was had by most. One fella cracked open one of said beers in the harbour. Then we left the harbour and he spent 4 solid hours with his head in a Hellman's Mayonaise tub. He was still puking on the way back in. He got such abuse all night long. He'll never be allowed to forget it.

Literally within 2 minutes of the first rigs being lowered we had 4 fish caught. We stayed at that location for about 30 minutes before moving on (much to my annoyance!). The next time we stopped, nothing had been caught for at most 7 or 8 minutes and one chap says: 'Ah, there are no fish here, will we move on??'

So I'm not sure how many converts I got, but all (bar one unfortunate) were happy with the trip.