Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 pm

People: myself

Duration: 1.30 to 3.30

Tide: one hour from high water

Weather: perfect conditions

Bait: mackeral,

Rigs: 3" blue spratt and cod feathers.

Results: 1 pollock , 1 cod

Report: Decided to put my boat into the water on friday last and give her a quick spin out to check how she survived the winter. Everything went well, engine started first time and ran like a watch. Got a new mark off Mine Head from a mate and after playing with the boat I decided to try the new mark on the GPS to see if it showed up on the sounder. Got to the mark and sure enough it was there on the fishfinder. Had a half hour to spare so I decided to try a blue spratt that I had bought at the boat show on thursday and straight away I felt a nibble on the line, I reeled it in and found a small pollock attached. I took his photo and returned him straight away. After about 10 mins I decided to try the cod feathers with a fillet of mack on . I was enjoying the view of the distant cliffs and then out of the blue a nice 7lb cod took the mack , after about 5 mins I finally landed it in the boat. Was over the moon, couldn`t believe I just caught my first cod. I kept him and had him for my dinner on friday evening. Delicious !!!Tried for another 20 mins with no luck but had to head home then. ( Took these pictures with a digital camera, but had to crop them to the minimum to upload them.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: stray cod

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:06 pm

nice fecking cod well done short time to fish but nice return well done

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Wasn`t planning on fishing much, just sorting out boat and getting her ready for the year ahead, but decided to bring a couple of frozen macks to "loosen up" the rods as well. Couldn`t believe my luck !! :o

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:33 pm

lovely stuff :wink:

great cod to kick off the season with 8)

well done.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:44 pm

Now that's what you call a nice start to the season 8) 8) 8)

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am

A nice first cod and good to see a new mark work out! :)

There is a good topic on uploading pics and resizing pics here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=14251

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Nice looking cod, well done.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:22 pm

nice cod