Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Vessel:screeming reels

Crew:myself

Duration:6 hours

Tideflood 1 hour ebb

Weather:Lovely but a nagging breeze came up in afternoon

Bait:mackerel

Rigs: feathers and shrimp rig

Results: 10 species, Codling, LSD, Pollock, Whiting, Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, poor cod, pouting, Dab, Ling

At last manged to get a day off, to run in the new engines, both as sweet as a cat purring, very quiet engines i must say.
The weather was nice, but a nagging cold breeze came up as the tide started to flood, which just made it a bit lumpy, nice slow trip out to the three mile rock, limited to 3000 rpm for the first 2 hours.
Fishing was not bad, with plenty of bites and a good selection of fish, but all small.
There was a good smattering of codling around, but all were less than 25 cm in size.
had a couple of half decent ling, then i decided to move a bit deeper to get a whiting , and enroute saw a feeding freenzy going on, gannets doing there dive bombing, great i thought, bait!
on arriving at the flock, the sea was full of seals, i mean a couple of hundred!!!!!!!, Then a huge mass appeared on the sounder, so solid i thought it might be a wreck, but it must have been sandeel, or something like that.
tried fishing, did get a couple of small fish on, but were stripped by the seals on the way up!!
Just then a couple of whales joined in!!, time to move, they were fin whales, and about 5 times bigger than my boat
All in all, nice day out, first part of the run in process done, and 10 species to boot.
Cannot complain, ( but my back is!!)
regards
screeming

pics in boat species comp forum

Re: screeming reels, dunmore east 21 feb

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 pm

well done on the dab a nice 15 pointer

Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 pm

nice one martyn,glad to hear all is good with the new engines,and a great tally of species for your first day out,regards,dezzer........

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:17 pm

well done not to bad a day 10 to start with nice pics

Re: screaming reels, dunmore east 21 feb

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Fair play Martyn you are starting out as you mean to continue 8) 8) 8)

re your new engines........ are they the same size as the last ones ? do you think there will be any difference in performance? fuel economy ?

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:04 am

Well done a good productive day out especially on your tood :D

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi,
The fact that the dab took a 5/0 pink flasher on the top hook of three makes the 15 points even sweeter!! :D ( if you want to keep a seperate table donal fell free, will still beat yeh!!!! :lol: :lol: )
I am now running twin 80 hp suzukis, much quiter engine, and much faster acceleration, so make sure you have some straps to hold on in the small boats donal!!!
Not sure of full performance etc yet, as only been to 4000rpm, but that did give 22 kts, so hopefully should tip 32 at full speed.
regards
screeming