APOLLO Cork Feb 19

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:22 pm

A pm from Alby on Sunday last that himself, Denis and Eric were heading to "De Wall" on thursday for a bit of fishing and maybe a run out with Petekd in the boat in the afternoon. With De Wall fishing rubbish this winter it did not sound like a good plan.
A pm back to Alby that I'd do a launch and take 1 or 2 of them. A quick call to Petekd had things sorted.
Had the boat on the slip by 10 o'clock but with the lads running late a bit of housekeeping to the boat were done.

Launched at 11.45 and headed to some Harbour marks to put them into the GPS.
Picked up Alby and Eric at Monkstown per at 12.45 and while Denis headed to Petekd we headed to the open sea. First Stop was a small reef about 6 miles off where I had a few fish last week. With fish showing on the bottom and with the slack tides the fish were in no feeding frenzy. The lack of wind made the drift non existant. A pollack for Eric and a ballan for Alby came fron the first bit of a drift. A move to different spots got an other few pollack and a few small ling and a nice 2lb. coalfish for Eric.

By the time Pete and Denis arrived things had slowed down so a move was on.

The next move was to a small wreck anout 3 miles away. When we got there there was a net on it. A few drifts off it produced no fish and a few lost rigs.
On the move again this time to a reef about a mile East.
The two lads were fishing baited feather off the bottom with no luck while near by Pete had a pollack on a gill. A quick dive into the tackle box had the lads on gilling gear and pollack.
Two or three drifts and things went quite so a quick dash to another reef but nothing to show for it we headed back to Pete and Denis. While I gave Eric a lession on how to fillet and skin fish Alby was on shrimp rigs a few ill timed strickes eventually saw him land a Female Cuckoo wrasse, his first ever one. With that out of the way the perfect end to the day for the birthday boy.
Not a great day out if your a Corkman 8) but the Dubs we pleased :) :) to see fish over the 20cm even some of the poor cod would have won a longest round fish pool on the East coast :lol: :lol:

For Pete it was a great day out 3 new reefs and a wreck on the GPS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had the lads back to Rinnaskiddy for 18.05 and headed to Aghada
Travel log: 46.7nm. in total about 38nm with the lads
Top speed 30.5kts as we pass Petekd by Spike Island :lol: 8) :lol:

Species for the day were Pollack, Ling, Coalfish, Poor cod, cuckoo wresse and a Dogfish for Eric while he was snagged again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: APOLLO Cork Feb 19

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 pm

nice report donal,and nice photos,your clocking up some miles now,regards,dezzer.....

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:41 pm

nice weather lads and good write up and pics

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:06 am

Donal at last Apollo is starting to get a few fish on here deck that Fish Magnet never caught :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Redfish that Pete caught looks like a bloody tape worm :shock: :shock: :shock:

By the way i here on the grape vine that Pete is looking to get a bigger engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:13 pm

yes, getting snagged is part of the fun, might have to have a dubs vs cork lads on the boats, with one a leg a piece. would be a bit of craic. cant wait to get back down there in season.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

I'am game for the cork v dubs session!!!
regards
screeming

Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:31 pm

screeming reels wrote:I'am game for the cork v dubs session!!!
regards
screeming

are you going to be the referee martyn :wink:

your from Waterford are you not :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 pm

ROADRUNNER wrote:Donal at last Apollo is starting to get a few fish on here deck that Fish Magnet never caught :lol: :lol: :lol:

That Redfish that Pete caught looks like a bloody tape worm :shock: :shock: :shock:

By the way i here on the grape vine that Pete is looking to get a bigger engine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the redband fish "caught" is the right word but it seem he caught it after a seagull dropped it next to his boat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Must go back and look at the photo of the scaldfish for beak marks :oops: :oops: :) :)

As for the bigger engine, it's all them Supermac he's eating is the main problem :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:32 pm

As for the bigger engine, it's all them Supermac he's eating is the main problem :lol: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:02 am

[quote="donal domeney
As for the bigger engine, it's all them Supermac he's eating is the main problem :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Ha Ha. FATTIE :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:23 am

Rampent Wreckfish wrote:[quote="donal domeney
As for the bigger engine, it's all them Supermac he's eating is the main problem :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha. FATTIE :lol:[/quote]

Now now I never said Pete was fat. He's just short for his weight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Bunch of faffing comedians arent we..... :D