APOLLO Cork Feb 15

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 am

Having slipped in the “bad hair day” :oops: :oops: report for the 12th. of Feb in the Boat Angling Reports it was back on the water again on Sunday the 15th. Just to prove that wearing the tee shirt inside out :shock: :shock: and having no fish baits :oops: had nothing to do with it the lack of fish.
Headed back out over the same ground North of the Lings but nothing had changed with only the odd poor cod and 1 whiting coming on board.
A new plan was needed but first a call to Pete and JP to make sure they did not head this way. 8) 8)
Where to go was now a problem and with 65 marks on the GPS it was a case of 23nm west to the famous coalfish :lol: :lol: wreck or go east to my old fishing grounds. 8) 8)
A happy medium was a mark I last fished in 2003 but because of the lack of my own boat I never got back there.
On the first drift I set up 2 rods, 1 with king rag about 15 winds from the bottom and the other a 2 up rig with rag and razor, within minutes the pollack rod was screaming its ass off and the other rod was bent too over with fish on. Reeled in the pollack rod first to land a nice pollack about 4lb. the other rod had a doubler of wrasse in tow.
Kept the drifts down to about 100m over the reef with a steady flow of pollack and wrasse and the odd coalfish. As the pollack, coalfish and ballans slowed down the pouting and ling began to show.
A few phone calls to Pete in between could not get him to make a move.
Scratching out small fish in 2ft. of water from the shore is a long way from 4 or 5lb. pollack in a 150ft of water. I guess he could not hack it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
In all not a bad day out a Coalfish to add to my 2009 species list and my faith restored in boat angling

Log report: 32.3 nautical miles travelled and 6hr. 30mn on the water

In total 8 species pollack, poor cod, pouting, whiting, ling, ballan, cuckoo and coalfish.
Happy days the man is back on form 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: APOLLO Cork Feb 15

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 am

Nice days fishing and good report Donal I will definitely have to fit in time to get down and bring up my species count. :D :D

Yappo

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 am

Scratching out small fish in 2ft. of water from the shore is a long way from 4 or 5lb. pollack in a 150ft of water. I guess he could not hack it

Now now Dommo, I might remind you what happened in Carrigaholt the time myself and yourself went hell for leather on the pollack during an SAI comp in 250 feet of water. One of us blamed a Cigar...... and it wasn't me.... :D Anyway, we were busy concentrating on difficult fish and rarities like Dragonets and Scaldfish... :D

Nice few fish you had there by the way, did you get ballans on Razor?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:30 pm

most of went trough a nice bit of juice 23nm is a fair distance just as well it was worth,one of the lads is ment to be heading out down there sat.