Cork Harbour 14 Feb 09

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:39 pm

First break in the weather this year coinciding with the weekend let me get out at last. Looking for cod or whatever with frozen crab and mackerel on a paternoster and a set of hokais. Headed out at 8 till 12, conditions were perfect for small boating, flat calm. Into whiting first of but nothing much bigger than half pound, buzzed around until I picked up some fish showing behind rock and depression at the mouth of the harbour, first drop produced a nice fat cod of maybe a pound and a half. The next look at the sounder was very strange with half the screen blacked out with fish, thought I was in for a cod bonanza but next drop gave a double shot of Pollack both around a pound. Tried to stay with this cloud of fish but it moved off as did I with the tide picking up. The next series of drifts produced one more cod, another six Pollack and one sea scorpion. Picked up only pin whiting in the deeper part of the channel on the way back in but all in all not bad for the time of year.
Heading out.JPG
Flat calm.JPG
Cockameengie.JPG
Codling.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cork Harbour 14 Feb 09

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Nicely marked codling...bit of his tail missing.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:34 pm

:D thats what i like to see a plate of glass headin out 2 morrow co. antrim see if any thing is about hope its as calm as that always been tempted to tow down to cork for something diff. fish the shore there every xmas tho bad there last year easterly winds and lack of fish :(

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:09 am

nice to see a cod well done

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:51 am

Nice session looked like a lovely morning for it nice few species great pics too :)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:28 am

Hi cobh scot fair play to you for trying and indeed you got a result KEEP IT UP and you will have a great year :P :P

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Looks smooth as ice out there.
Nice codling.