APOLLO Cork. Jan 28

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:48 pm

With all this talk of small boat meets, I remembered I had a boat tucked under a tree down East Cork way.
A check on the forecast last night and again this morning and things were all go.
The only problem been thick fog but then that why I have, 2 GPS, for.
Launched out of Aghada and on the move by 11 o'clock it was a steady speed out the harbour with visability down to 20yds in places. Once passed Roches Point the fog was gone and the next stop would be North of the Lings.
First few drifts produced the usual Whiting with a nice few Grey and Red Gurnard in the mix. With one Red over the 2lb mark (returned alive)
Next move brought me on to the Lings in hope of a few pollack but without any king rag, gilling with jellyworms proved a waste of time with the second rod only catching a few wrasse I was on the move again.
This is when the day woke up, the start of this drift had whiting coming in on the double and as the whiting disapeared the the two rods were back on the go again but this time I pulled in Haddock on both of them. A quick press of the MOB button and short drifts over the same mark produced about 15 or so Haddock with the best landed about 3lb. Dropped a few fish and broke a snood on a fine fish.
Big smiles on the way home and a happy chappy now after a nice feed of Haddock.
Harry, your man on the couch, had the Cod for his dinner.

In all only 8 species but a feed of Haddock done in a batter of flour and Scrumpy Jack made the day worth while 8) 8) 8) 8)

Re: APOLLO Cork. Jan 28

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 pm

great report donal.

id say it was good to blow the cobwebs off of her :wink:
nice mix of stuff aswell well done on the 3 lb haddock only the days are still quite short :twisted: im sure a trip down with the boat would of been on the cards :wink:

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 pm

JOHN1 wrote:
only the days are still quite short :twisted: im sure a trip down with the boat would of been on the cards :wink:

Save the the route for the day on the computer using Garmin Mapsourse "trip and waypoint manager" and a quick check on the log showed I arrived back at Aghada at 17:20 with still a bit of daylight to spare.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 am

donal domeney wrote:
JOHN1 wrote:
only the days are still quite short :twisted: im sure a trip down with the boat would of been on the cards :wink:

Save the the route for the day on the computer using Garmin Mapsourse "trip and waypoint manager" and a quick check on the log showed I arrived back at Aghada at 17:20 with still a bit of daylight to spare.

i know there is a good stretch but not good enough to make towing boats from dublin to cork worthwhile . :wink:

but come to think of it :idea: seen as you have the trip saved you can send me a PM of the haddock mark just incase i do get down :lol: :lol:

Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:11 am

Fair play Donal its nice to get a few edible fish But J***S why o why did you give HARRY the Cod :lol: :lol: :lol:

Danny

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Excellent Report Donal, Nice to get out, and especially when you get a window to get out to the Lings, Excellent Red Gurnard as well

Kev

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Nice one Dom, fair play for getting out. Myself and Lee had a little foray into the harbour on Saturday afternoon but it blew a hooley from nothing very quickly and we had an embarassing amount of fish, 3 pollack and 2 whiting I think it was. It got that bad, we even took a spin to Monkstown and drifted the channel over slack water for absolutely bugger all. Still, it was nice to get out and get the hull wet and make sure everything was working as it should be. God bless that breakback trailer, retrieving in a howler was an absolute doddle.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:36 pm

Nice one Donal great days fishing by east coast standards. :D :D
Will have to get a few days down there soon.

Yappo

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Nice result Donal :!:

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Jim from Cork wrote:Nice result Donal :!:

Now you know why your aunt had no heating yesterday 8) :lol:

Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 pm

donal domeney wrote:
Jim from Cork wrote:Nice result Donal :!:

Now you know why your aunt had no heating yesterday 8) :lol:

:D :D

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Good days fishing Donal, now I'm thinking "I'm getting a boat."

Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm

nice one donal,great report,and great to get out,will head down that way soon when the weather picks up a little,regards,dezzer......

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:18 pm

Nice to see a good variety of species,

id say those haddock tipped with a plate of chips and peas went down well :lol:

mick

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:34 pm

mickeyfish wrote:Nice to see a good variety of species,

mick

On day 3 of haddock for dinner :D :D :D
Would never think of insulting them by putting them on the same plate as common chips and peas 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:44 pm

donal domeney wrote:
mickeyfish wrote:Nice to see a good variety of species,

mick

On day 3 of haddock for dinner :D :D :D
Would never think of insulting them by putting them on the same plate as common chips and peas 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i suppose having them with scrumpy jack is real fine dining :lol: :lol:

Only messing!! Nice fishing lad

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 pm

nice one donal good report, id say harrys coat is shiny from eating that fresh cod!!
best fed dog in cork :wink:

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 am

nice fishing donal i think a cork trip is calling