tuna fishing christmas

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:43 pm

People:myself, my partner & son

Duration: Christmas & New years

Tide:

Weather: overcast on the first day, sunny 25c

Bait:Prawns and live bait (boga's)

Rigs:3 hook paternoster & live baiting rigs with 8/0s

Results:sierra tuna, barracuda, puffer fish, boga's, trigger fish & many bream species

Report: went away with the family to feurtoventura for the holiday period, so decided to squeeze a days fishing in, down on the harbour of correlejo there is a fantastic boat called the Santa maria 3, he is willing to take individual bookings for €55 per person, so the first day we went out it was just my family and one other angler (of course the other angler turned out to be irish) it was nice company having another angler on the boat that you could have the banter with, the fishing for the small stuff was excellent immediately getting bites as soon as you drop down, but needing a small bit of patience to actually hook up, we tried for some bait fish but because the weater was slightly unpleasent they proved hard to come by, this left the fishing for bigger stuff almost impossible, we tried but to no avail

the skipper who was excellent told us if we would be willing to come out again he would only charge us half price as we didin't get any tuna & as it was an excuse for another days fishing we took him up on it

the second day

there was a mixed bag of anglers some women, a few germans, an english lad and both myself and the other lad from the first day

nice and early start, the skipper true to his word , half price

we were straight on to the bait fish, we were using prawns on size 6 hooks, as the baitfish (Boga's) were coming in they went in to a bait well to keep them alive, it didn't take to long to have the well fairly full before we headed on our way

the skipper went to one of his marks anchored up and started to bait up the area throwing in some off his own special mix, some cut up fish and some live fish, to attract the fish to the boat, we would cast out the live bait 30-40 yards from the boat set the drags and wait

we we not waitng long before the reels started to scream with the rods buckling over, in total we land 7 tuna and 2 barracuda, i my self had two tuna and one barracuda

regards

mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mickeyfish on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: tuna fishing christmas

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:46 pm

some more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm

nice to mix the hols with a bit of fishing good pics as well

Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Most have been a great trip

Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Nice catch there mick, and some good fish too...! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 am

nice one mick looked like you had a busy day some nice fish there

brian

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 am

Hi

Well done, those tuna are bonitos and an excellent size overall.
Must have gone like stink!

Nice photos - that other Irish lad is a bit young! :wink:

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 am

Nice one Mick, I like the new rod by the way, where can I get me one of those..... :D

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:28 pm

nice fishing mick, good to see you having a good time, do we have another boat angler in the making??

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:31 pm

petekd wrote:Nice one Mick, I like the new rod by the way, where can I get me one of those..... :D

pete thats a 2 foot tubertini DH with a match tip only £100 which is about €15 :lol:

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:35 pm

eric wrote:nice fishing mick, good to see you having a good time, do we have another boat angler in the making??

if it turns out that he likes fishing, i will be let out more, so it may work to my advantage 8)

and he has his eyes on my gear
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: