Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:49 pm

myself and five others

0800-1920

flooding ebbing

calm slight breeze in evening

shads jellies fresh mackeral squid

all sorts

lots of mackeral 2ling 2 coalies 10 cod

headed out nice and early 0800 with colin on a lovely fresh morning, first stop mackeral mackeral lots of them and in good condition still firm.headed on out along towards wreck one 28 miles off.on route were entertained by acres of acrobatic dolphins and lots of very large whales hump back fin and mink amazing sites stayed watching and filming for long time then off to business sit back and enjoy spin good swell going but very comfortable in super boat.first drift produced nada then after repositioning lines away again.Mattie foley first in with a nice cod then i struck a good fish and also one of the lane brothers my fish was giving a good battle nodding away cod me thinks meanwhile mr lane landed his fish a fine coalie that looked like a possible specimen my battle was nearly over when disaster struck stuck under boat after advice from skipper walked up towards bow and thankfully freed the obstruction and after a couple of turns a white belly appeared below a few more turns and a successful gaffing and my first decent wreck cod hit the deck a quick weigh brought the scales bouncing between twenty twenty three poundsfingers crossed.started another drift mattie another cod eddie a cod christy a cod me a coalie all cod easily double figures my fish 6 poundish.next drift a couple of cod for mattie me and finally dan got off the mark with a cod.a few more drifts produced two more cod.decision then made to head to another wreck seven miles further out that colin has never failed on with the cod.on way there wwe noticed we were been followed by a wreck netter hopefully he wasnt going picking up his nets.arrival at wreck no bouys phew but the trawler was still making a direct course for us started a drift no takes then the trawler joined us asking any good and styed alongside us for several fruitless drifts only producing two ling one for eddie one for dan.this trawler was determined to wait and stayed drifting very very close to us until finally we decided to head back in to last wreck the minute we left he started shooting so not much hope for this wreck as she is very small a very angry skipper enlightened us he never saw it netted before so wasnt holding hope for it in future.back to first wreck drifted it until darkness a cople more fish.darkness fell and the three hour journey home began.on arrival back at pier i weighed my cod tipped scales to 21lb success and my first fish of the day and mr lanes coalie made 15 12 so two specimens out of fouteen fish not bad a good day in a great comfortable boat with a very comfortable fully walk around deck and a very good skipper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: unioon hall 7/12/08 colin barnes

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:49 pm

Who needs pork !

Thats sum lump of a fish man.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 pm

great report there mate :wink: good fishing you will want a lot of chips with that lad :wink: :lol:

Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:21 pm

nice cod

good to see som macks about still.,.,.,.,.,

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:50 pm

That was a lovely descriptive post. I almost feel like I was there :evil:

Great photo too. Whoever took it is very talented :twisted:

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:54 am

what a superb fish. was out with colin june bank hol weekend and i wrote up a story
about the trip and the star printed it up. i had a specimen coalie that weekend... what a skipper..

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:07 am

lovely specimen mate not many specimen cod out there

colin barnes is a top skipper one of the best, full of knowledge and like you said his boat is the dogs

brian

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:59 am

thats a serious cod in these waters, well done

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:44 am

excellent fish there well done some eating on him :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:50 pm

how big was the cod"ling"

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:04 pm