Cork Harbour 02/11/08

Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Vessel:Still Norfolk n Fish

Crew:Myself and Rampent Wreckfish (JP)

Duration:2-6ish I think

Tide:Ebb Low flow

Weather:nice, bit of a northeasterly blowing I think

Bait:Rag mainly, mack and a bit of crab too.

Rigs:Various, mainly 3 hook flowing or 2 + flier.

Results:Mack, Whiting, Ling, Pollack, Dab, Plaice, Grey Gurnard, Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo wrasse

Report:

Took advantage of a mild Sunday to throw the boat in for an hour or two with the JP fella aboard. Headed out in calm seas to a nice bit of ground about 7 mile from the mouth of the harbour. I had a feeling that when the tide turned, it could get a little snotty and unfortunately, I was proved right. We had 3 drops there to pull out a couple of ling, gurnard and some other bits before, with the wind on tide, it started getting a bit lumpy with white tops. Given the fact it sure as hell wasn't going to get any better, and not wanting to face a 7 mile trip back in nasty stuff I called time on that spot and we turned tail and headed back towards the harbour. Stopped off at Daunt rock on the way back in and managed some nice wrasse of over 3 lb, a couple of pollack and a cuckoo. Drifting around the mouth of the harbour threw up Dabs, a lone mackerel and some whiting. Headed for the shipping channel in hope of a cod or two but nothing other than greedy whiting there I'm afraid. Drifting around the bank threw up yet more whiting (good sized too for the most part) and a solitary small plaice. With that, we headed back in to Crosshaven in near darkness to retrieve and get a bit of grub.

A pleasant couple of hours with the JP fella back on a boat for the first time in years giving me a comprehensive spanking on the species count so I dont think we'll let him aboard again.... :D Great to be out in November and a crying shame to come back in when we did with the tips rattling away constantly in the twilight.

Re: Cork Harbour 02/11/08

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Nice session there pete, its a pity the days are so short :cry:

Re: Cork Harbour 02/11/08

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Nice session Pete. It will be interesting to see how the harbour fishes over the winter for you.

Kev