Maighdean Mara, Spiddle 12.10.08

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:09 pm

People: vinnycorrigan, myself and 8 others

Duration: 08:30 - 18:00

Tide: HT 16:20

Weather: clear skies little wind

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: various

Results: spurdog, cod, conger, ling, pollack, pouting, grey gurnard, cuckoo wrasse, whiting, scad, mackerel

Report: Got a call from Vinny to say there was a seat available heading out from Spiddle on Kevins boat Maighdean Mara. Met the guys pier side and steamed out past Doolin and drifted back from the Cliffs of Moher, the first drift produced a good show of fish pollack averaging 5lbs made a few drifts picking up fish constantly. Vinny picked up a cracking 8.5lb cod while i picked up my first pouting of the year good size to the pouting also. We moved to a different mark and continued getting fish there were a few 5 timers around the boat with all the lads having plenty of action and i had 6 pollack on at one stage smallest around 5lb mark. i picked up an other new species for the year a ling. We headed to Inis Oir so the lads could have lunch i stayed on board with the skipper and put out a conger rig while sipping a coffee Vinny came back and put out a conger rig also. The water was crystel clear and we could see a conger come out and take my mackerel head let him swim off then i struck had him on for about 30 secs then he got off taking the mackerel head with him. Then he turned and came back heading towards vinny's bait he took that swam off vinny struck but the conger outwitted us again. In the meatime i put down a joey macerel topped and tailed with the hook positioned to leave the conger no chance watched as another one appeared from under the boat looked a decent one he took the bait let him go a good bit then struck fish on got him to the boat quick pic then back over the side and he shot off back to his lair. We headed of to another mark to try pick up a few more mackerel to try for tope and spurs (which so far had proved scarce enough) skipper was spot on again and the mackerel and a some scad were coming readily. Vinny and myself sent down to animal rigs trying to connect with tope or spurs. I had a half mackerel down and was getting a few doggie like bites then a quick change of tactics on the skippers advice (cheers Kevin :wink: ) and i sent down a live joey lip hooked and soon enough got a good bang and struck into something decent up came my first ever spurdog was over the moon. Vinny got hit by a spurdog but lost him on the way up i dropped another two while one of the lads got a spur on baited feathers. We packed up after a busy days fishing with everyone catching plenty and headed back to port. Thankfully a forecast of force 6 winds for the afternoon never materialised and we had a perfect day for fishing :)

Vinny has some photos to add also....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by saltydog on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Maighdean Mara, Spiddle 12.10.08

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:32 pm

SUNBURN. It hurts.. had a great day out, new species, great skipper, first time fishing with saltydog which was great.... definitely looking forward to next time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:43 am

good fishing lads well done.

i see you said you caught shad i think you mean scad :!: :!: :lol:

brian

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:34 am

Opps :shock: thanks Brian had shads on the mind after all the pollack :)

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 am

Nice fishin lads. Good sort of spiecies too :mrgreen:

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Welldone on a fine days fishing lads.

Nice to see you got a few new species Conor :D

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 am

Cheers lads it was nice fishing with Vinny and adding a few new species to the list in the prosess. Thanks again Vinny for the call :)