cork small boats 2008, screeming reels

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Everyone, well, sitting down and relaxing at last after a very busy three weeks fishing with the two small boats comps.
The cork week turned out to be a close affair, and unusually for cork the fishing was very tough indeed, despite a couple of nice weather days on sunday and monday.
I did'nt manage the double , but came very close with second place on 22 species, to Jim from cork, Skua, who won the event on 23 species :clap:
Sunday turned out to be the best weather day, and the 30 boats were linned up like a formula 1 start, it was an impressive site to see all the boats heading off at speed.
The rest of the weeks forecast with a promise of the weather getting worse, meant nearly everybody headed offshore to get those species in the bag first, we had a reasonable day, as our third team member Donal, was absent fishing the masters.
We managed 14 species in total, but could not get a cod or a coalfish !! very frustrating, and also pouting were proving to be very scarce with many boats having trouble locating one.
16 was the higest score on day one.
Monday, day 2, was a promise of nice weather until around 1pm, with a forecast of stronger winds, so initially the call was unrestricted , but every boat to be back inside roaches point by 13.00.
A plan was made to try and get the cod, and we headed offshore again, but again we blanked, .
in the afternoon we tryed a few "hot " marks for bas flounder etc, and blanked again ! we were a little downheated at the end of the day, but we knew we still had all the harbour species to get, which gave us a chance, and like in kilmore we were sitting around 10th place on day two with 16 species total, and the leader was on 20, so a lot to do.
Day three , was promised force 8 westerlies, but the good old seaweed was showing west 3-4 til around lunchtime and then picking up to a 4-6.
and thats exactly what happened, we headed to the bank, and we managed to pick up a colfish and scad early on, two targets, we hoped to get 7 on the day, and we managed 6, with a good two hours to go to get a bass, but again the bass remained at large!
We were very happy that we had hit 22, as we knew this would be very close to the top. and sure enough it was, but we soon heard that jim had managed 23, so we knew he had pipped, us, even if we had got the bass, he would of still won , with a superior weight.
The final comp day was a specimen hunt, where 6 species are named , conger, lsd, plaice, dab, bass, flounder, and you have to try and get the biggest!, and also as many of the six as you can.
Conditions were tough to say the least,( se attached photo on the bank) and we managed 4, with a lovely 31.8lb conger to take the biggests conger prize! Also a pb on the boat, ( it was also released alive along with many others that had been caught) We did get a plaice, but it was 29.5cm!! if it had been in, we would have won the overall on the day, thats how close winning and losing can be!!

Another great result, to finish of the comp year, and i must say i am very happy with how its gone.
Its amazing how much more we have learnt this year, and it certainly means we are looking forward to commence battle again next year.
At last i managed to add a scad to my braggin rights, but as to what i will add from now til year end? time will tell!!!!
If anyone wants some more info on ythe event , please feel free to pm, and i will try to answer your questions
Petekd, Dezzer and Nevskibb, may well also post there own experiance, suffice to say, Dezzer did very well on his first attempt, but nevskibb, had one of those weeks when nothing went right. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: cork small boats 2008, screeming reels

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 pm

well done lads you must have had a few restless nights since kilmore but to finish second in cork things dont get much better a few beers and a bit of rest along with some time to sort the boat and gear after fishing we had 2 days fishing last weekend and it took awhile to sort things out i cant imagine how many rods,and rigs that your boat used did you have any failures ie rods ,reels, gps,engines , lose any anchors i know your boat is aluminium so that a good start
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm

Well done to u Martin and team :D U where very close to the double :? But u prob learned a lot more about the area so should stand to u 4 next week
Can u tell me the break down of prizes can,t seem to find out who won what in the pools R was there any?

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 pm

There was only one pool. Fish drawn for the first 3 days competition, flounder. 50% went to “Wimps” for a fish of 2lb, 50% to RNLI.
Three Day Species Hunt:
Prizes were awarded for 1st to 3rd most species each day.
Top 17 boats. Best of each of 10 nominated species.

Specimen Hunt:
1st and 2nd of each nominated species.
Best Combination (UK) Best Combination (IRL)
3rd & 4th best combinations.

There were prizes awarded for the Best specimen (4 days) and Best Bass (4 days)

Full results will be online in the next while (when time allows!!)