Rossguil, Downings Sept 27th & 28th

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:26 am

People: 8 club members

Duration: sat & sunday

Tide: various

Weather: bloody awful

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: various

Results: 2 blue sharks, turbot, brill, lots of pollack, ling, coalfish & strangely enough Gurnards

Report: had 2 days out with the lads from Ayr SAC with Michael on Rossguil. stayed at his digs which were spot on, clean and comfortable. a wee bit away from the pub but Michael has thought of that and laid on the beers.
day 1 was pretty lumpy and we had a few dead bodies, however all bar 1 got the rods out. first spot was a long steam for flatties, a mark michael warned us beforehand was a hit or miss. one of those marks when its good its really good. it wasn't.
however we did get a couple of turbot and a small brill plus a few tub & red Gurnard. after that it was out to one of his favourite wrecks to fill up on coalfish and pollack. good standard of fish with the coalfish topping out at 5lbs and the pollack to low double figures. 20 Euro to me for the best pollack for the day, woohoo. :D , for michael a huge fuel bill, shows you the effort he made.
2nd day was a shark day as the weather was better. mackerel caught the previous day was chummed on the way out and the baits set. a few hours passed and suddenly mayhem, the guy who had died all day on the sat was into his 1st sharkie. a nice fight results in a 68lb blue and his torture from the previous day is long forgotten. with 8 on the boat we have to pair off per rod and i was teamed up with my laddie. my half hour had just started when the ratchet sounded, years ago i would have broken bones if anyone touched my gear but as all parents will know there is something special about watching your kids having fun. he had a great scrap, with at least 5 screaming runs before we got her tailed and tagged. 86.5lbs and good god he even thanked me :o he took the sweep money though :)
while waiting for the main event the guys filled the boat with gurnards, ling and coalfish so no one got bored.
great weekend and would recommend Michael to anyone.

can't post pics as a one of the magazine's is involved so they will eventually be in there

Re: Rossguil, Downings Sept 27th & 28th

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:16 pm

nice one dale.