Portnoo 20/09

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:38 pm

I went down to portnoo in the afternoon.I took the kayak with me , but was fishing on the shore because of a competition we had on another forum.
There were quite a few people fishing the shoreline and catching nothing. One of the guys shouted "What the F#CK was that" we all looked over to see a broken surface on the water about 200m out. With all eyes focused on the area, a large dolphin broke the water did a sumersault in mid air and nose dived.

With that everyone dropped the rods to get a closer look. Was amazing , for about half an hour we were treated to a dolphin show. I ran to get the kayak, but no sooner had I got it on the water than they had headed round the headland. Was really disapointed, but I decided to stay out and do a bit of fishing incase they came back.

About 15 minutes later the shout went up that they were on their way back. I paddled out further and could see them coming closer. Then they disappeared and re-appeared about 100m behind me. Again I paddled as quick as I could back, but they were heading back out to sea again. I kept up with them but was still agood way back from them. They submerged again. I sat and waited when suddenly I heard the blowhole exhale not 5 feet behind me (Scared the SH#T out of me). Then another one appeared on my left hand side, two in front and one on my right. I would say I paddled with them surrounding me for about 2-3 mins.
They never jumped while I was there, they just slowly swam with part of their backs out of the water, some submerged for a short time only to re-appear at the other side of the kayak.

I really feel priviledge to see creatures like that, so close I could have touched them.Didn't do very well in the fishing, Didn't care!!