Kilrush – no sharking 9/17/08

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 pm

People: jw and myself

Duration: 9:00 - 16:00

Tide: ebb and flood

Weather: Sunny, warm and no wind

Bait: Vertical jig, various feathers, jellyworm, mackerel

Rigs: Hokkai, various for gilling (do not know well that stuff) + shark trace 200lb, 9/0

Results: Pollack plenty, some wrass and scad (?) + blueshark

Report:
Hi guys,
that was pretty good adventure! Weather was unusual ;) No wind, no clouds, sun – water temp 14 – 15 C. Because of lack of wind and therefore no good conditions for drift, we decided to go reef fishing instead of sharking.

We were fishing in several marks, some of them quiet some of them generous. Suddenly, while I was playing a fish, a blue shark struck a pollack that was on the end of my line. Shark was biting and swimming around ripped in half pollack still attached to my jig. jw was shouting, “keep him there, keep him there Tommy” while setting up his shark rod. Finally shark ripped of my line and swam away with remains of pollack along with my lure. jw thrown in to the water some of ruby-dubby prepared day earlier to keep shark interested. It was high time for me to set up my rod as well. By that time jw was already setup and his shark trace landed in water seconds after. A few minutes later my trace was ready as well. I thrown mackerel in to the water and was just about to tie a balloon to line when I felt that shark took my bait and was running with it. I dropped the balloon and kept to my rod instead. After some exciting moments and three crush dives, we managed to tail and land a shark.

I’m sure jw will paste here more pictures especially ones where shark was making circles around ripped pollack on my line.
Last edited by Tomaszek on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Kilrush – no sharking 9/17/08

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Well done Tommy :!: Cracking day, and nice result- did you get back your lure :?: :wink:

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 pm

I was hoping to get it back :mrgreen: . Unfortunatell shark must spat it out. :lol:

Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:49 am

Hi, was shark fishing out of Youghal on the 17 sept and had 6 blues. no wind either but the current was so strong we took a chance on it. two minutes after putting out the rubby dubby we had 2 blues circling the boat and one of them got the rubby dubby which did not impress my friend as had just made it ! I recorded it with my phone....excuse my friends language....its just that he has a bad tongue when he gets annoyed !

All sharks were caught with barbless hooks, tagged and returned alive.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-g7czg_35uc

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 am

That was awesome seeing the shark take the dubby bag, oh good result there well done!

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:54 am

That's only onion bag lads, dont worry :wink: what a view of blues ye had instead... :mrgreen: This one should be called "blue sucker"...

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:05 pm

blue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:06 pm

pollack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Good seized whiting John, I bet that was last white hokkai in his life :wink:

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:32 pm

hi tomi,

i meant to weigh him then i forgot. i am thinking now catching whitefish on the bottom must make a contribution
to drawing sharks to the boat even when a rubby dubby trail is setdue to all the flapping about and wounded fish vibs

jw

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 pm

what a day u got flat calm, great fishing its great to hook into a blue well done

brian

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:34 pm

jw wrote:catching whitefish on the bottom must make a contribution
to drawing sharks to the boat even when a rubby dubby trail is setdue to all the flapping about and wounded fish vibs

It is right way to success, when you can hit two or three defferent senses of fish. Anyway, catching whitefish while fishing for shark is two in one- good fun, and additional predator gimmick.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:44 pm

good to see them being caught on barbless hooks. now thats what i like to see 8) 8) 8)