Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:26 pm

People: myself, phanover, Sandy

Duration: 09:00 - 18:00

Tide:

Weather: sunny in morning, cloudy later, damp as we came in

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: shark rigs, flowing traces, floats

Results: pollack, grey gurnard, haddock, garfish, whiting, one run from a blue

Report: Pete had kindly arranged a shark trip for us out with Mohawk (Jim) on Deora De. With Jim not out on Friday and us not wanting to waste time getting macks which were a bit patchy given the weather we've been having, Pete decided that we should meet at 6am and take a spin out on his boat to get the macks we needed.
I agreed, despite the fact I was going out Friday night for a spot of beach fishing. Anyway, with one thing and another I ended up with about 4.5 hours sleep. Turned up a Pete's at around 6 to find him still in bed :lol: .
Poor man had been up half the night being sick. For the second time in as many weeks he'd managed to get himself food poisoning. Anyway, mack trip called off and we headed back to our respective beds for a bit of catch up sleep.
Anyway, Pete still wasn't able for fishing come 9am so it was myself, Paul and a lady named Sandy (who rumour has it was the real reason Pete couldn't make it in case he got beaten by a girl :lol: ) who boarded the boat.
We steamed out, stopping once or twice on mack drops, picking up a few here and there (managing a couple of greys and a pollack into the bargain), until the last stop when we finally hit a good shoal of them and managed our quota, .
Jim and his able assistant, took us out further, set up the slick, got us tackled up, explained the sharking end of things and got us started.
After a bit of balloon watching and some more tea, I decided to get another rod out into the slick and try for a gar for the species list this year. After a while of this, with no luck, I then put on a flowing trace and fished the sandy bottom to see if I could pick up anything else. Think we were about in 80m, just managed to hold bottom with and 8oz (used an 8 and a 6 for a while). Picked up a couple of whiting, not much fun winching up that distance, wouldn't have fancied catching anything bigger. Then to my surprise I managed a haddock, which was a new species for me, so I was delighted.
In the meantime Jim had some more rubby out and Paul had a line out for a gar and it wasn't long before he got his first ever one. The slick is working we thought!!
Unfortunately, we were a bit premature, no more garfish and no sign of any blues. With about 1/2 an hour left, we heard a snorting noise behind us and we turned to see a whale surfacing. It did that a couple more time, it seemed to come down the direction of the slick, but breezed on uninterestedly.
Just as we were about leave (we were literally just about to reel in), the clicker on Paul's reel started to go, a shark at last!
The rest of the lines were hastily pulled in as the shark toyed with Paul's bait. A stronger run followed, then it stopped and Jim told Paul to set the hook. He tried, and we watched us his float moved towards and around the front of the boat, it stopped and he reeled in, but his line was slack and it was gone.
Shame we had to go just as we had attracted some shark, but it was time. Pete met us at the pier, all credit to him for coming down and sorting out his share, before heading back off to bed/toilet or wherever he'd been spending his day.
Thanks to Jim for getting us out there, keeping us filled up with tea and setting up the rubby dubby and gear. At least we got one run anyway and myself and Paul managed a new species each, and we know what to expect for next time.....

Re: Chasing blues on Deora De, Cork Harbour, 13/09/2008

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm

pity about the sharks not playing ball.. any size to the haddock?

was pete eating his bait again :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:pity about the sharks not playing ball.. any size to the haddock?

yes, it was a pity Steve. Haddock not big, couple of pounds maybe, big enough for the wife and two kids for tea anyway, quite fleshy though - seemed like there was more meat to it than a similar sized whiting or cod? I'll have to wait a year or two until I get another one and compare :lol:

stevecrow74 wrote: was pete eating his bait again :shock: :shock: :twisted:

lol, you'd wonder alright, maybe it was just one snackbox too many for his overworked digestive system :lol:. Don't know where he is eating on his road trips, but when his 'Michelin' style food guide is published I certainly won't be buying one. Actually, maybe it's his better-half's way of keeping him at home for the weekend :?:

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:31 am

I think I had all the runs on Saturday..... :evil: Better luck next time lads.

the real reason Pete couldn't make it in case he got beaten by a girl

Thats McGroary your thinking of there Lee.... :lol:

Somebody on the west coast has it in for me. Been ill 3 times in last 6/7 years then twice in a fortnight in the Weshht. Not good, not good at all.....

Sorry I couldnt make it, I did get as far as the local shop in the morning before another attack of cramps had me sprinting back home for a day spent between bathroom and bed. You wouldnt have thanked me for turning up in that state, polluting the boat, particularly with ladies present. I doubt I'd ever have been allowed back :lol: .

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 am

interesting the sicknesses always coincide with important fishing trips....have you
considered the possibility herself might be adding a pinch of arsenic to the cornflakes
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 am

Its not her :evil: , it coincides with my return from Foxford on a Fri evening.....

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:53 pm

thescotsman- Lucky yee had one run of a blue... That's a 100% better, compare to what I had on saturday :wink: All what I get from blue trip was: wind, rain, wind, rain...and couple of small mackeral, keept as bait for pike :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:02 pm

tomi,

where were you fishing, have heard reports of bad sharking from a couple of skippers off
the cork coast recently but also heard a good report off the clare coast recently

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm

jw wrote:have heard reports of bad sharking from a couple of skippers off
the cork coast recently

Last week two blues was caught on waters near Unionhall. Both around two meters mark.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:22 pm

jw wrote:where were you fishing

Clare coast... just below Cliffs Of Moher
jw wrote:also heard a good report off the clare coast recently

On the same day, more-less the same slick- Kevin had one about 80 lbs, and Max had one too. We just wasn't lucky enough :evil:

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:44 pm

the clare dragoon had four blues in the boat today, though none
bigger than 50lbs weight

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:28 pm

jw wrote:none bigger than 50lbs weight

Ok John, I will change the hooks on my traces for 3/0 :mrgreen: , should be better for those "babe blues" :wink:
If not blues- houpfully sixgilled, or skate will play the ball on the trip... :twisted:
thescotsman- sorry for off topic :wink:

Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:45 pm

''Sandy (who rumour has it was the real reason Pete couldn't make it in case he got beaten by a girl ) '' :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Lee never a truer word spoken we will see what ruthless and toothless can do on Wednesday :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

''the clicker on Paul's reel started to go, a shark at last!'' Shark run a lot longer when the spool is disengaged :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers Danny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: