Where to mount transducer?

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Finally managed to get a fishfinder for my Hobie yak, but I'd really appreciate it if anybody could give any advice on where and how to mount the transducer???
The finder is a fairly basic Garmin 140 model (more to see the type of ground I'm over than in the hope of seein' actual fish), and i got a sealed motorcycle battery to run it off. The yak is a peddle type with rudder, and I'll attach a pic in case that's any help. Thanks a lot, I'd really like to get it fitted and stop fishin blind.
Donogh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Where to mount transducer?

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Most transducers can now be mounted to shoot thru the hull of a boat, the advantages of this means it doesnt get knocked about so much.
To do this use some marine epoxy to stick it to your prefered position

Lowrance instructions
<< Shoot-Thru-Hull Mount
In this installation, the transducer is bonded to the inside of the hull with epoxy. Ideally, the transducer is placed in the aft third of the hull close to the centerline. The signal "shoots through" the hull with some loss of signal strength. This installation must be made in an area of the hull that is made from solid fiberglass, with no air bubbles or separated layers. If the hull is of multi-layer or "sandwich" construction, you will have to remove the inner layer of fiberglass and the wood or foam core to expose the outer layer of the hull. This type of mount is recommended only with 192 or 200 kHz transducers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.