Cork 30 & 31 - Mystic Meg!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Vessel: Thresher

Crew: Myself and Kev

Duration: 2 Days

Tide: All Stages

Weather: 2-3 southerlies on Saturday, turning west to north west 3-4 on Sunday

Bait: Everything we could get our hands on….

Rigs: Everything – Rig wallet is now empty!!!

Results: Megrim… and the usual stuff

Report: Myself and Kev took advantage of yet another small weather window to head south to my favourite venue, the peoples republic of Cork. We managed to behave ourselves this weekend and had two early starts. As usual we launched from Aghada or as Kev prefers to call it, Agada! We had a hairy encounter on Saturday morning when spring tides combined with southerly winds saw 8-10 foot standing waves at the mouth of harbour. We did a quick u turn and waited for the winds and tide to slacken before trying it again. It’s amazing how quickly it came upon us. Another valuable lesson learned!

We decided just to put the small boats festival to the back of our minds and instead do some real fishing, after all how many times a year do you get two days were the weather is suitable to head well out of the reaches of the Harbour.

Our plan was to try some new ground with the hope of picking up something different and our plan quickly paid off. Within 25 minutes we picked up a few little gems. I then got a strange rattle. I picked up and gently leaned into the fish. At first I thought it was Turbot when I seen it coming up through the water column but soon realized it couldn’t be as Sean P and his bloody spreader bar were no were to be seen :lol: :lol:, instead it a was a fine Megrim! My first and a good un at that, just shy of the specimen weight.

As usual another very worthwhile trip, great crack and great weather for once!

My first Megrim, just barely under the Specimen weight…

Kev lands a nice pout… but wait, the tails gone…. Sorry Kev it doesn’t count!! Anyone any ideas what might have snapped at it? didn’t have the shape of a Ling or Shark

After several weeks of intense training with a local circus in Meath Kev finally grasps the hand feeding technique and lures a nice double figure fish to the boat.

You can do it!!!

Re: Cork 30 & 31 - Mystic Meg!

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:59 am

Well done again on the venture south :D 8)
Meet up with the lads while we were retrieving our boats what a happy bunch of chappies It's easy please a Dub :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: Try living :twisted: :twisted: down here when 12 species is a poor days fishing.
The megrim :o :o was a nice one to add to you list but the smile on Mac's face after the Sea Food Chowder in Rosie's Bar beat all. :lol: :lol:
If ye keep heading down this way ye'll have to get a plastic surgery job done to remove the smiles :) :) :) from your faces :P :P

Re: Cork 30 & 31 - Mystic Meg!

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 am

RobertMcClean wrote: Anyone any ideas what might have snapped at it? didn’t have the shape of a Ling or Shark

Kevin ! :D