loinnir, Burtonport, 21st 22nd Aug 08

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:05 am

People:me jacko two bros the da and some mates

Duration:21st & 22nd all day

Tide:

Weather: surprisingly amazing on the second day

Bait:fresh macks

Rigs:everything

Results:macks, whiting, dabs, dogs, red, grey and tub gurnards, cod, ling, poor cod, pollack, coalfish thornback ray, cuckoo wrasse and blue shark.

Report:we booked loinnir out of burtonport a few months ago along with flights to donegal airport with aer arann 50 quid return well worth it by the way.
thursday. the weather looked fine for both days with the forecast giving friday to be the best of the 2. it started of with us filling a box with macks for some bait that was quickly done so we headed out about 6 miles from arran mor light house on to mixed ground. the drift was slow so it was near perfect except for the swell which got 4 of the crew feeding the fish :lol: even jacko survived the ever present rolling.
fishing started great and to be honest thats how it stayed for the whole of the 2 days. there was lovely plump cod coming up 2 at a time with nice size pollack and loads of ling the biggest being 9lbs, ok size for mixed ground.
all the cod where from 2lb up to 6lbs.
We said we would wait until the friday to hit the blues because the skipper joe bonner reckoned the swell would die down to nothing so we took his expert advise, a really excellent skipper extreamly helpful and a genuine gent and fisherman one i would really recommend and maybe one for the MA next year :!:
friday. we woke up to lovely weather hardly a breeze and sun splitting the threes, this was the one we where all waiting on.
same as the day before we filled the boxes with fresh macks enough to make 3 bags of rubby dubby.
we steamed an extra few miles out giving the good weather i think we where nine miles from land. we didnt delay about getting the scent trail going the rubby dubby was made on the way out to the mark. with the 3 bags in the water i set up my shark rod with a trace i made up with 6' of 250lb mono onto 6' of 100lb wire onto a 10/0. 3 rods in total where set up for the blues so the waiting game starts.
meanwhile the bottom rods where getting lashed out of it with all sorts mainly pollack, cod and ling.
and hour and a half had passed when suddenly donals reel gave a couple of pulls on the rachet next of all it went of not so fast though, suddenly it stopped it was a dropped run. we took the three rods in and re baited. there was bite marks on my bait but by the looks of it it was a small blue.
another hour went by with no shark until richies rod went of like a train he struk it lovely the fish was definately hooked so all lines where took in except for mine which took off too it wasn't a different shark it was the same one so i got as much line back then cut it.
After about twenty mins fighting the blue it eventually came to the boat but as soon as it seen the boat it went on another darting run it had some power and to be honest it was an amazing specticle to see a lovely fish like the blue come to the boat and be landed. there was some cheer for richie considering he only goes fishing probably twice a year. fair play to him he was over the moon, a once in a lifetime fish for him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: loinnir, Burtonport, 21st 22nd Aug 08

Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:15 am

richie playing the blue
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:24 pm

some nice fish there well done.what weight was the blue???

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:26 pm

it was around 75 to 80lb it was heavy enough tbh. its a top spot burtonport we are going there 10 years now still holds good fishing

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Well done guys. Nice blues :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Nice fish. Great fishing platform, the Loinnir.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:41 pm

beautiful fish, and they sure give a good fight.

looks similar size to the one i caught!
i guess not less than 80lbs

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Nice fish. Great fishing platform, the Loinnir.

ye mate its a cracker boat 43' aqua star goes very well

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:27 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:beautiful fish, and they sure give a good fight.

looks similar size to the one i caught!
i guess not less than 80lbs

ye steve looks similar to yours alright there some fish to go, ill have to wait until next year for my first :roll:
around 80lb id say alright can only imagine the fight of a 150 pounder!!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:47 pm

brianbru wrote:can only imagine the fight of a 150 pounder!!

i'm hoping that will become a reality soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:
brianbru wrote:can only imagine the fight of a 150 pounder!!

i'm hoping that will become a reality soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lucky you, you have it at your door step. i can only wish i will some day