Duke, Cork Harbour, 16/08/2008

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:45 pm

People: me and petekd

Duration: 9:30 - 15:30

Tide: LW about 12 I think

Weather: breezy first S, then NW, odd shower

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: hokkais, shrimp rig, flowing trace, ray trace

Results: mackerel,whiting (the poisson de jour), dogfish, plaice, pollack, starfish and lots of crabs

Report: Headed out with Pete for sea trials in Duke after her refurbishment (all went very well), for what is probably her last outing in Cork Harbour (at least under the current captain).

Lovely and calm when we launched from Ringaskiddy, decided to try a bit of trolling as we headed out, so on with the plugs. Very pleasant stuff, I got three good hits, with two hookups, both of which managed to get free before we even reached the bridge. We continued on out towards Roches Point, but had no other takes. Think we should have stayed in :roll:

Found some mackerel after a bit of searching through big swell, little bit ruffled with the wind, but not a problem. Water was very dirty. Pete picking up plenty of mack to his bright pink rig, me nothing to my feathers, switched over to hokkais with a bit of luminosity and straight away I was into mackerel. I then started bottom fishing to sneak a fish in ahead of Pete, but nothing doing on the hokkais anyway.

We anchored up hoping for some blondes again - still didn't manage to connect with any, never had this much trouble getting one before.
Fished flowing traces for flats, but only picked up whiting - lots of smallies, the odd bigger one, a few dogs and a good few edible crabs and starfish.

Getting tired of this and as it was getting a bit lumpier headed back in to the harbour and tried for some flats, nothing doing there. Headed back towards white bay, Pete managing a half decent plaice as we were reeling in to go again. Drifted the bank, picking up some whiting and a pollack. Tried trolling around the margins of the harbour again, but nothing doing.

Headed back in, slow days fishing, lumpy at times with the wind and tide, but still great to be out.

Farewell to Duke, 21 species out of Cork this season, not too bad for a wee orkney. Just me and Tigger II left in CHOLF now....

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:46 am

It was very kind of you there Lee not to mention my panicked run over to Camden, beaching the boat and sprinting off into the bushes with your fishy towel before blatantly ignoring the No Dumping signs.... :lol:

Dirty water, windy, lumpy at times, loads of fresh, plenty of weed, crap fishing...... Still, it beat the hell out of staying at home :D

Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am

Well, I was trying to stop you getting prosecuted for crimes against the environment, plus I'd be an accessory given that I was holding the get away boat :lol:

Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:21 am

I was leaning toward you being an accessory because you supplied the towel..... :lol:

Like you said Pete, it beats moping around on the couch, which is all I've been doing myself.

Kev