Greencastle Regatta SA Comp

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:24 pm

The event was held over thurs, fri and Saturday 7th, 8th & 9th of Aug. I wasn’t out myself on the Thursday, but the fishing was apparently very slow due to the prevailing east wind. Friday however was a different affair. There was 6 of us out on first stop was Magilligan for mackerel, but it was surprisingly quiet. I think there was 3 fish taken. From there we steamed down around the coast to near enough Culdaff. We fished out deep there for a while, with all anglers taking several Gurnard, mostly red, with a few tub. I took 7 myself, with a couple of guys taking 10. The rules of the comp were that you could take 10 of each species. Other than Gurnard there was a few whiting and pouting taken. As some of the guys had caught 10 Gurnard, the skipper decided to head in to the rocks after Pollack. The majority of the Pollack were taken on big ragworm, fished on a flowing trace about 2 feet long, on a single hook. Within an hour or so there was 20 to 30 pollack landed with a few nice Wrasse . After several drifts for Pollack, We headed out to the Gas bouy about 15 mins directly out from the mouth of the Foyle. Other than Mack, fishing was pretty slow at that last stop I think there was a whiting or two taken a few more gurnard, a few doggies and a sole.
From memory Kevin O’Donnell won the day with 10 Pollack, 10 Gurnard, 1 LSD, 1 Wrasse and a pouting.
The Saturday was called off as it was too rough. All in all it was a good day out fair play to Joanne for organizing the event and hopefully it will be back bigger and better as part of the Greencastle Regatta next year!

Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Paddy was it small boats event or charter boats? Would be interested definetly in next year

Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:48 pm

It was a charter boat, 'the vagavond' the skipper was Charlie Lafferty from Glengad, im not sure if its his boat, or Dessi Mills boat, but dessi was definitely involved in some form.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:11 pm

Good stuff. Must make a point of heading up next year for regatta weekend