irish 6 gilled record doubled

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:16 pm

A 300lb six gill was caught by dutch anglers on the clare dragoon
charter boat out of carrigaholt on friday,
thats double the previous irish record!! It was caught on mackerel fished on the
bottom at anchor 3 miles north of loop head in 60 meters of water.

it is traditional for anglers to post pictures of sharks in the magazines
or this site and claim a weight of double the fish shown, its called poetic licence,
300lb is a factually correct estimate of the shark, which was returned alive not claimed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

photo

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm

photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:53 pm

thats a monster fish john. where they targeting conger or skate when they hooked into it??

brian

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Is this Shark was caught, around the spot, where we gonna targeting blue shark on SAC trip?

Magnificent fish :!:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Now - that horse is thick around the middle!

It would be interesting to know where it spends the winter months.

Any suggestions ?

P

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 pm

tomi,

i was just thinking that very thought myself!!!!

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/sixgill2.htm

If you are under the mistaken impression that large predatory sharks do not live in the seas around Britain, you are in for a rude awakening in the unlikely, but not impossible, event that you should encounter the Six-gilled Shark, Hexanchus griseus. Adult specimens are the third largest predatory shark of the oceans and measure nearly 5 metres in length (compared to the 7 metres of the Great White Shark).

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:28 pm

That would pull your string :lol: Good fish glad it went back..

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am

Six gills are scavengers that live in barren deep waters of often thousands of feet as far as i am aware. They often will go for months without a meal moving very slowly in order to conserve energy. Moving from one carcass to another. Whales and seals and large fish carcasses make up their diet.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:20 pm

Fantastic stuff.

So nice to see such a huge fish being released.

There are far too many photos of dead sharks with muppets standing beside them sticking their thumbs up out there.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:15 pm

That is awesome!!! What were they targeting while caugth that fish? I'm so glad that fish was returned alive - as long as I can tell by looking at the photos fish wasn't even boated - good for them, good for the fish - amazing fishing!

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 am

Seriously cool thats a huge fish.

shark meet

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:03 pm

i put here discussion of our shark meet plans

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... hp?t=14567

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:01 am

sum serious choppers on dat fella

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Big fish,i was talking to a lad in the pub after the dublin match and got talking about fishing and that,he told me he was involved in dolphin and wale watching and sick and beached dolphins.I showed him a picture of a dead baby dolphin that me and the bro found just off dalkey,he said it was common enough, then he showed me a picture of a dolphin washed up on greystones beach with a shark bite of about 12 inches he said it was a macko bite and reckoned it was working between wicklow and louth
so the big sharks are out there ,we will have to organise a shark trip on the east coast,maybe in sept if the weather picks up

Re: irish 6 gilled record doubled

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 pm

very nice fish. sure its eaten many o' macks in its time.