Maigden Mara, Spiddle Co Galway, 9-Aug-2008.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:28 pm

People: me, nige, stevecrow74, papa smurf, handbrake and 3 others.

Duration: 9.15-18.00

Tide: HW ~11.00am

Weather: Wet and windy

Bait: Mackerel

Rigs: Feathers, pirks, shad, baited spoon, sonic booms, etc.

Results: mackerel, pollack, red gurnard, haddock, whiting, ling, blue shark

Report:

With weather reports the previous evening predicting winds ranging from force 2 to force 6/7 and possibly reaching gale force, there wasn't a great expectation that we'd get out out to sea at all. We were all gathered at the pier next morning before 9am anxiously waiting on the skipper to arrive and give his verdict. We didn't have long to wait. Kevin reckoned it would be a bit rough but was willing to take us out as he knew we were all experienced boat anglers and wouldn't have much trouble with the rough conditions :shock: :?

We loaded up and were on on way by 9.15, heading straight for the back of the Aran Islands. Steve and myself were at the back of the boat on the trip out - white knuckles clenching the rail for all we were worth on the roller-coaster ride. Kevin and nige managed to get the rubby-dubby bag sorted before we managed to reach our mark :? . Don't ask me how they managed this in the weather we had, and with mackerel that were a few days old :shock:

There was a fairly vicious swell that did all it could to drown myself and Steve as waves and spray lashed over the 47-footer. 90 minutes later engines trottled back - we had reached our mark, wet :roll: (Note to self: don't leave cigs, lighter or phone in outer pocket of floatie - they don't take salt water too well :oops: ).

Rods quickly over the side and we were into mackerel straight away, lots of them. Meanwhile the rubby-dubby was hung over the side and 4 shark rods were rigged and the baloons quickly pulled away from the boat in the big tide.

Lots of mackerel later, a ratchet fired on one of the shark rods. "Shark on" from Kevin and all rods were rapidly reeled in. Nige was the lucky guy to have the opportuning to tackle this baby. With a nice bend in the rod, Nige nursed the shark closer, but the shark had other intentions and peeled off more line. Unfortunately, we didn't to see this shark as a few minutes later, Nige's line went slack. Shark gone :( . Rotten bit of bad luck :( .

Back to normal fishing again for all, changing tactics to get past the mackerel :roll: . Pirk, shad and booms went down we started into some good pollack, whiting and a few ling. Steve pulled in a nice haddock and a while later pulled in a lovely ling.

Meanwhile the swell was really nasty - I had a box of Kwells in my bag and a few people were happy to take one. (Won't mention any names :wink: )

"Shark on" again and all lines were pulled in. I had the pleasure of taking this one. Kevin reminded me of the 30lb breaking strain braid and the big swell (like I needed reminding of that swell). Felt like a good fish and it wanted line. After a few runs, we managed to see the blue/white streak in the water. My left arm was really feeling the strain. Got the fish to the side of the boat to let the skipper grab its tail. The blue shark started rolling and the line was wound around its body 6 or 7 times. It was another 5 minutes before we got it into the boat. By now my arm was like jelly, but it was worth it to land my first blue shark :lol: :lol: :lol:
At just about 2m long, we estimated its weight at approx. 65lbs. Happy days :lol: :lol:

Pollack, red gurnard (good size too) and whiting were still being caught. After a 15 minute revival period I went back fishing and it wasn't until I hooked 2 big pollack on shad and spoon that I realised how tired my arm was. I took another break after that :roll: :wink:

The rain came down heavy shortly before Kevin headed back to Spiddle, around 16.30. I didn't care :lol:

I'm sure the lads will have some bits to add...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Well done lads, mga, congratulations on shark :D
Kevin must have all sharks counted out there... houpfully fief left for next saturday, I have to beat my PB :wink:

Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:09 pm

Congrats again Martin can't wait to have a crack at one of those babies myself :) hard luck Nige your day will come! Another species for Steve too happy days!

Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Roller coaster ride is putting it lightly.. Great fun though holding onto the railing for dear life. at least no one could slag me with the size of my ling this time.. And a good sized haddock too.. Pleased to get a red gurnard, new species for of there :) shame about nige though :( next time..

i see you haven't changed your avatar yet martin.. :) :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Well done Martin on the blue :) wish i had got my one on board. It gave a hell of a fight for the few mins i had it :oops: dont think the skipper or a few other people will let me forget about it in a hurry.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 pm

who could you meam :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

to be honest though, i'd say the fish you had on was well over the 100lbs mark.. what a bend in the rod :shock: :shock:

we'll get you one of them yet though :D

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:02 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:...
i see you haven't changed your avatar yet martin.. :) :) :)

Look again :wink: :lol:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 pm

tomi wrote:Well done lads, mga, congratulations on shark :D
Kevin must have all sharks counted out there... houpfully fief left for next saturday, I have to beat my PB :wink:

Thanks Tomi. Kevin is certainly having a good run of blues on his boat this year. Good luck on Saturday and looking forward to seeing your report afterwards :wink:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 pm

mga wrote: Thanks Tomi. Kevin is certainly having a good run of blues on his boat this year. Good luck on Saturday and looking forward to seeing your report afterwards

Only one thing can stop us, it's the weather...I don't like Roller coaster at all...

stevecrow wrote:i see you haven't changed your avatar yet martin..

mga wrote: Look again

Ok, guys, it's my turn for new avatar.
Look up- poor spices record- Blue, blue, blue... :wink:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:32 pm

tomi wrote:
mga wrote: Thanks Tomi. Kevin is certainly having a good run of blues on his boat this year. Good luck on Saturday and looking forward to seeing your report afterwards

Only one thing can stop us, it's the weather...I don't like Roller coaster at all...

stevecrow wrote:i see you haven't changed your avatar yet martin..

mga wrote: Look again

Ok, guys, it's my turn for new avatar.
Look up- poor spices record- Blue, blue, blue... :wink:

you could be lucky tomi, looking at next weekends weather you could be in for calm seas..

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:32 pm

Kevin rang me a couple of hours ago, they had just landed a (estimated) 160lbs porbeagle. Tagged and released. He had to hang up then cos they hooked another one!

BTW Steve, that's a massive ling there! :lol:

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Bradan wrote:BTW Steve, that's a massive ling there! :lol:

compared to that last one i caught, it is :D

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Bradan wrote:Kevin rang me a couple of hours ago, they had just landed a (estimated) 160lbs porbeagle. Tagged and released. He had to hang up then cos they hooked another one!

Wow! Bet someone had sore arms after that beauty, and probably a few inches longer :)
Would be lovely to see a pic :wink:

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:19 pm

I had a call as well :wink: He recons second was much bigger- they couldn't stop it... 50 lbs braid wasn't strong enough... pics. later :D

Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:30 pm

mga wrote:
Bradan wrote:Kevin rang me a couple of hours ago, they had just landed a (estimated) 160lbs porbeagle. Tagged and released. He had to hang up then cos they hooked another one!

Wow! Bet someone had sore arms after that beauty, and probably a few inches longer :)
Would be lovely to see a pic :wink:

Was talking to kevin. Pictures will be on his website. He didnt say when they would put on the website :)

Porbeagle shark

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 pm

Here you are guys. Fresh photos from Kev.
Fish took whole mackerel, on 30 lbs line (!), It was 1,5 hours of fight, before fish was succesfuly landed.
Fair play for the happy capturer :!: :twisted:

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:32 am

Nice :P. 1.5 hours of a fight? Whew! Think I'd need to be resuscitated after that :lol:

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 am

1.5 hours.. they should have let the grown ups land it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:37 am

Cool fish nice one. :D