dun laoghraire, dodger (27/7/08)

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm

People:dennis, myself and 'el penicio'

Duration:9-6

Tide:who knows

Weather:too hot and sunny for my liking

Bait:crab,mack,and rag

Rigs:many

Results:thornback ray, dogfish, starry smoothound, tub gurnard, grey gurnard, poor cod, pouting, cod, pollock, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse, common dragonette, whiting, mackerel

Report: fished a dalkey comp with the lads, in the end dennis won by default :wink: some amount of species out there, 14 in all, and that was without some common ones like dabs, launce,huss etc as we didn't target them. began at a mark which throws up loads of species with the added bonus of few dogs. i started off well with a 2 dogs, a thornback and an insize tub on my first two drops, Dennis followed up with two dogs and a smoothy and just missed out on a grey gurnard for size by 2cm under the minimum 30cm, the gods where shining, i picked up another dog and so did paul before we moved off to the reefs. first drop for me resulted in a bite off from what must have been a pig of a wrasse, new trace on and i got a pollock, by now dennis had 4 of them including two mediums. next mark, i opted for a change of tactics with a spinning rod, lead head and ragworm,spun away but with nothing there for anyone we moved off, the next mark landed me two pollock insize and 1 undersize while the two others blanked, finally went to a different mark which fished steadily for pollock, where dennis kept up his lead of pollock by 6 fish or so, paul had now landed one pollock and a wrasse, while my lead head system had gotten me two medium pollock, changed rig to a rig similar to dennis's and got nailed by another big wrasse who ran all the way into a lobster pot rope, rig and fish gone, i re-set up and landed myself another valuable species, this time and insize wrasse, paul and i had also landed two minis, with his dragonette and my corkwing, in need of more species to compete with the other lads, we set off to our final mark, the boat suddenly cut out and with out heads being scratched by wondering what happened we dropped anchor and hoped for the best, the fuel line fell off and was reconnected. i decided i had to fill my dog quota so i put a generous lump of mack on the bottom hook in the hope of one or better still a stray strap or huss, once the lead hit the bottom i got hit by a nice cod for dublin standards at around 4lb,in the bucket it went for tea, dennis picked up his wrasse, three in all, and all good size, while i caught, poor cod, pouting and small pollock. totals added i had won on points as only your best 5 pollock count, but all agreed that dennis had won as he had caught more counting fish. final scores me 330pts, dennis 321pts paul 85pts

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:49 pm

in all fairness you did win eric plain and simple,,,but was a good day and great fun,,,

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm

well done eric.

nice report you must like typing :shock: and a very nice species count by any standards. :wink:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:06 pm

JOHN1 wrote:well done eric.

nice report you must like typing :shock: and a very nice species count by any standards. :wink:

what else would i do at work, serve customers :wink: