valentia, screeming reels, bluemouth raid!

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

valentia, screeming reels, bluemouth raid!

Postby screeming reels » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:14 am

People:Vessel:screeming reels

Crew:seirt, myself 2 days, tony, sue day 3

Duration:all weekend

Tide:3 days worth

Weather:breezy but fishable sat/sun wet but calm monday

Bait:rag, crab, squid, mack, lug

Rigs:many,

Results:22 species on my boat, we had 28 between the fleet of 7 boats
Cuckoo ray, blonde ray, thornback ray, spotted ray(homlyn), bluemouth, haddock, dabs, pollock, coalfish, ling, whiting, poor cod, grey gurnard, red gurnard, pouting, mackerel, LSD, conger, cuckoo wrasse, ballen wrasse, ( also had, rock goby and corkwing)

Report:
Headed down to kerry for the Rosies small boat club annual towaway, 7 boats in total for a two day species hunt .
initial wx reports were up and down but eventually it settled into a steady southerly 3-4, but with a nice moderate swell coming in from the west, so making it lumpy near the cliffs.
Day one was hard going as it was uncomfortable, but we managed to eek out 11 species on the day, with tony and sue tait on predetor 2 on 12 species.( Donal "the dominator" on 9!)
That night in the pub we were given a tip off about a nice ray mark, so the next morning we headed along to that spot with a couple of the other boats, was sceptical at first as with any "red hot" mark, Just as we dropped anchour we had a visit from Gygibyte, nice to meet you!
Well, to say this was fishing heaven would be an understatement
7 spotted ray, 2 blonde ray, 3 thornback ray, and 1 cuckoo ray later( just on our boat) the other boats had a good spread of ray too, plus good sized dabs and a couple of plaice, and this was all in under 1.5 hours!!( all returned alive)
it was a great spot. :D
the rest of the day was spent scratching around to top up the 1st days missing species, and with a bit of luck we ended up with a winning total of 19 , (i believe "the dominator" must have lost his whip, ending up on 14 :oops: )
Monday was set aside for a Bluemouth hunt, we knew thay were offshore somewhere, so with a best guess attitude to a good deal of looking at charts etc, 2 boats, myself with tony and sue onbaord, and reefer, headed off on a very soft kerry morning, but the wind had gone calm and so had the swell! making for a nice fast trip offshore.
Well the research payed off, and with a E5 bet for the first bluemouth, first drop tony, (jokingly said), Bluemouth on!
as the shape reached the surface, the orange colour proved it was a bluemouth, happy days!!, after a quick check on the scales it showed it was a specimen.
Sue was next in to fish, and up came a double shot!! and we it looks like the top fish is a potential new Irish record!
i was getting a little frustrated, but at last a good bit and yes up came my first Bluemouth with 3 more to follow, including a specimen for myself, :lol:
Great thing about these fish is they go straight back down when released, though we did keep the specimens and the potential record fish.
We did have some nice ling and pollock action too, but incredibly the boat with us, ( even though fishing 30 meters away on every drift did not get one bluemouth) unlucky for them, and they were getting a little p...d off!!!
Well we were soked at that stage and we headed back home, we checked the weights onshore to confirm exact sizes, and it showed my fish 0,92kg tonys fish 0.96kg. and sues at 1.30kg
A great day after a lot of planning and effort
regards
screeming
Attachments
3 happy campers.jpg
3 happy campers.jpg (63.74 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
bluemouth 2.jpg
bluemouth 2.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby donal domeney » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Cracking weekend away and well done to Tony and Sue for putting the plans together.

We end up with only 15 species in the comp and 16 in total on the boat for the 2 days.
Crew man Donal 0'Mahony bagged a speciment LSD on the 2nd day

Considering the GPS went on the blink and I could not get it to zoom in beyond the full map of Ireland. Spent the best part of the first day trying everthing to get to work that in the end the unit crashed. Ended up using an old handheld unit until the batteries died on that.

First comp in the boat and a 3rd place finish for the boat I'm happy enough. Know there is room for improvement when the GPS is up and runing again
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:59 pm

What's a Bluemouth? Pics look a bit like Norwegian Haddock..... are they about Ireland?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Tanglerat wrote:What's a Bluemouth? Pics look a bit like Norwegian Haddock..... are they about Ireland?

i was thinking the same

[edit]

just checked my species book.. its a relative of the Norway haddock, but the bluemouth is widly spread through the Atlantic from Norway to southern africa.. also has a blue mouth cavity whereas Norway haddock have a pale red cavity :wink:

Norway haddock are northern Atlantic only from Iceland - Norway down as far as Ireland
Last edited by stevecrow74 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby RobertMcClean » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Well done folks - excellent fishing by the sounds of it. I was wondering why Aghada was so quiet the weekend :lol:
Thresher
Call Sign: EIDV5
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby Keeper » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

excellent fishing.
Can any of you guys advise if it would be feasible to target the Bluemouths off one of the deep water shore marks down there.

BTW the slip where the photo was taken is a good mullet and silver eel mark. Maybe a few crafty extra species could be sneaked out before you head out deep.
Keeper
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby screeming reels » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi keeper
Yes i had the mullet snaffeling all the bits of bait i was throwing in tidying the boat in the marina, soon as i put a hook in a piece, it was in and out of the mouth quicker than i could blink!!!
It appears that if you fish deep water reefs offshore, 270 feet plus, thats where the bluemouths lie, we did find they were very localised though, picks your spot and take the chance !, for us we scored , but there were areas we tried exactly the same , with no joy.
As mentioned the boat next to us had none at all , amazing considering we had 11 plus,
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

blue

Postby JimC » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Well done Martyn a great result! How many specimens is that this year? We fished the same area the week previous but failed to contact... found the reefs to be very fustrating trying to avoid the pollack! :)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby JOHN1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:44 pm

excellent stuff.

fantastic species count 8) well done.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

bluemouths

Postby screeming reels » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:42 am

Hi jim,
Yes , i just wish i had the same luck in the small boats!!!
First drop we pulled up a bluemouth, and you know yourself, on a reef your pestered by the other inhabitants, well we did not get that, it was a case of 3 bluemouths, then a couple of pollock, we were lucky! :D
Its 5 speci's this year( so Far) !!!
This species hunting is time consuming, but rewarding, but as to if i am allowed to do it next year, thats a different story!
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Keeper » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi Screeming reels.
we tried for them last year out deep but no luck. I was wondering though if you could get them from the shore. There are some good deep marks off the shore down there.
They would be a nice addition to a species list.
Keeper
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby screeming reels » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Keeper,
no idea from shore, only heard of them out deep. i mean 260-340 feet, not sure if there are any shore marks where you can get that depth, but you never know!!!!
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Re:

Postby Tanglerat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:07 pm

Tanglerat wrote:What's a Bluemouth? Pics look a bit like Norwegian Haddock..... are they about Ireland?

Well, it only took another 6 years, but I finally got to see one of those bluemouths for myself today - a club mate fishing his socks off had one of them in 70-80m of water about 12 miles west of Tory.

Class looking fish.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports