Galway Bay 23/7/08

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am

People: Self only

Duration: 6 hours

Tide: 3hours euther side of LW

Weather: Overcast

Bait: Feathers, baited feathers, mackeral strips on simple ledger.

Rigs: Basic

Results: Pollack, mackeral, pout, doggies, huss, spurdog and tope

Report: Many, many fish caught also a spider crab. Fished a new mark identified by http://www.infomar.ie/ . Very satisfying experiment. 4 tope in all, fishing alone I am unable to boat them. So I have a system for unhooking them from the side. Biggest problem was avoiding the pollack. Felt tired at the end of the session! Later fished one of my usual marks - not so productive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:13 pm

very nice finding a new spot well done on the tope!!!

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Nice 1st pic! What's your guess at the weight?

Mark and weight

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am

Yes, so pleased at this new mark. Well worth studying the seabed profiles via the link above. Google Earth required - a free download.

As for weights, well I'm not good at estimating weights for larger fish. Lets say that I caught a small tope, 2 medium ones and a big one! At a guess - 15 lbs, 25 lbs and 40 lbs. Purely a guesstimate. Image is one of the mediums. Didn't think about taking a picture when tackling the larger one ( the first one ) , I was so preoccupied and excited.

The day following my expedition on this mark, I saw a 40' commercial working this area with what looked like net gear. Had he had been doing his homework too?

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Great stuff Peter, and great link. Must be fun managing the Tope on your own!

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Good session with the Tope!
Good find with the info as well, is a position taken off Google Earth fairly accurate?

Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:29 pm

SeanP wrote ' is a position taken off Google Earth fairly accurate? '

The simple answer is yes and, indeed, to within a very few meters.

When I originally downloaded the seabed data from infomar it automatically became part of my Google Earth ( don't know how ). So each and every time I load Google Earth the sea bed data is there! Just along the West coast - where it should be. Even better, when I move the cursor over the interesting sea bed features the GPS co-ordinates are displayed to a detail of 100th of a minute. Many displayed features tie in with my existing GPS co-ordinates logged as marks. This, of course, raised my interest in the vaidity of this data.
On reflection, the infomar data has potential commercial value. I am therefore delighted that it is available at no cost.

Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks for the info Peter, very interesting indeed, it paints a whole new picture compared to the admiralty charts :shock: now if only we could get it loaded onto a chartplotter 8) :P

Section off Smerwick harbour
[img:1040:875]http://www.seanpalmer.hostinguk.com/other/googleinfomar.jpg[/img]