Anyone on for Kilmore/Saltees Kayak Trip Sunday?

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

I was wondering would anyone be on for a kayak trip to the cod/pollack marks behind the Great Saltee Island on Sunday 27th? It's a seriously long trip, but because of the islands, we'd never be that far from land in the event of an emergency. (There's also always a few charter boats around if anybody got into serious difficulty)
There's good cod and pollack there (at least there was a couple of weks ago) and it might be a bit of crack. We could meet up at Kilmore Quay around 10.30am, take our time paddling out to the mark (my guess is that we'd do it in 2 hours) fish til about 5.30pm and then head back.
I think it would only make sense if it's no more than force 4, and no whitecaps, but the chances of that seem pretty good. And we'd need to bring a couple of extra sambos/water in case we got temporarily stranded on one of the islands (which i really doubt, but just in case).
What do yis think?
Donogh

Re: Anyone on for Kilmore/Saltees Kayak Trip Sunday?

Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Donogh wrote:I was wondering would anyone be on for a kayak trip to the cod/pollack marks behind the Great Saltee Island on Sunday 27th? It's a seriously long trip, but because of the islands, we'd never be that far from land in the event of an emergency. (There's also always a few charter boats around if anybody got into serious difficulty)
There's good cod and pollack there (at least there was a couple of weks ago) and it might be a bit of crack. We could meet up at Kilmore Quay around 10.30am, take our time paddling out to the mark (my guess is that we'd do it in 2 hours) fish til about 5.30pm and then head back.
I think it would only make sense if it's no more than force 4, and no whitecaps, but the chances of that seem pretty good. And we'd need to bring a couple of extra sambos/water in case we got temporarily stranded on one of the islands (which i really doubt, but just in case).
What do yis think?
Donogh

i think you are out of your mind! Kilmore is a very dangerous place on a good day in a real boat with exposed rocks, big swells and very strong currents. If you think it would take 2 hours to get out to a mark what are you going to do if it blows up! On many ocasions i have felt very insignificant in a capable boat down there. Its hardly surprising you have had no responses to this lunacy! Seriously, from the way you are talking you are making me worry :shock:

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks for your advice. I have been out in Kilmore in the kayak, and was about half a mile from the Little Saltee. As I tried to point out, one of the benefits of Kilmore is that one is rarely more than a mile from land, whether one of the two islands or Kilmore itself, so one could get to safety in about 20 minutes. And unlike having a 'real' boat, one can land almost anywhere on a kayak. Bearing that in mind, and the amount of activity around Kilmore, plus the fact I'm pretty well-equipped safety-wise, I think Kilmore is probably one of the best places for yak fishing.
And since i don't have an engine it's not going to conk out forcing the lifeboat to have to come and tow me in. Something that does sometimes happen with 'real' boats. So try not to worry your head too much.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:58 pm

i dont know kilmore very well,, but kayaks are capable vessels provided you take the necessary safety precautions, obviously knowledge of the tides and currents are vital, i would be up for a trip donagh but how bout somewhere closer to home?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:16 am

Donogh wrote:Thanks for your advice. I have been out in Kilmore in the kayak, and was about half a mile from the Little Saltee. As I tried to point out, one of the benefits of Kilmore is that one is rarely more than a mile from land, whether one of the two islands or Kilmore itself, so one could get to safety in about 20 minutes. And unlike having a 'real' boat, one can land almost anywhere on a kayak. Bearing that in mind, and the amount of activity around Kilmore, plus the fact I'm pretty well-equipped safety-wise, I think Kilmore is probably one of the best places for yak fishing.
And since i don't have an engine it's not going to conk out forcing the lifeboat to have to come and tow me in. Something that does sometimes happen with 'real' boats. So try not to worry your head too much.

This has nothing to do with 'real boats' or otherwise so leave your ego at home. Kilmore is a VERY dangerous place and the fact that you are even suggesting the sort of thing you are takling about shows your inexperience in the matter. Kilmore is subject to huge swells and very rough water and very strong currents. what seems like a decent enough sea can change with a surge of wind combined with when the tide turns and changes directions. I have been out in Kilmore many times and always feel edgy every time i go out there. Your so called 'engine' that does not break down is not worth a fart in a space suit if you are caught in a current and strong overfalls. You would be swept out to sea or turned over. I think you are very silly to think you are ok to be kayaking around that area. Kilmore key is a very turbulant sea with and has patches of very confused water all round the place especially near the islands. Just because there is land near you does not mean it is your friend or that you can get up onto it! You should know that! The cliffs especially around the South faces of the Great Salty and Little Salty are particularly dangerous with rebounding swells colliding with incoming swells creating massive confused spikey water. These combined with the rising and falling swells have rock now you see it, now you don't situations. In a nut shell kilmore is a dangerous place on a good day. I would hate to see it if it turned nasty. In fact i would think if i were out there and it did turn nasty you are pretty much dead! There are much safer places you could fish in your Kayak. I don't feel you really know what you are suggesting.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm

Hate to say it, but dirty fecker is right.

I have been fishing for a while from a kayak, I have one or two scares in seemingly very safe water.

I won't go out on a kayak if the weather is changeable.Boomers are a no no unless you have a very calm day.

The only way you can get out there is if you have ten days of high pressure before your trip and the forcast is for the same. Even then a ripping tide can sweep you out to sea.You need to work on an incoming or flat tide. You need to keep an eye on the horizon if it's lumpy TURN BACK. Wind is not your friend. I think you need to take the kayak out on a lake in a force 5 and see how tired you get going nowhere!!!

Only when all these conditions are met should you go anywhere.

Thanks again

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks again for your advice. Firstly you introduced the term 'real boats' not me.
I am well-accquainted with currents and overfalls, including those in Kilmore Quay, and worse ones. You know nothing about me or my experience. I am also aware of the landing spots, for kayaks, on both islands, and, for kayaks, they are very much our friend. I am well aware that for larger craft that is not the situation. Fortunately, all fishing kayaks are designed to be able to be righted and re-boarded single-handedly in the event of them turning over, another of the few advantages we have over larger boats. So I, and many other people, will continue fishing around Kilmore Quay. And those who know what they're about and are properly-equipped will continue to do so quite safely.
There is one real risk attached to all kayak fishin', of course, which you don't mention, which is being run over by some eejit with two big twin outboards who's not paying attention to what he's doing. But that, sadly, can happen anyhere, to kayakers, surfers or swimmers.
Most importantly, you have now made your point. No-one is suggesting that you go anywhere in any kayak so, having expressed your opinion, I wouldn't have thought it was of any further concern of yours what I, or anyone else, chooses to do.

Wise advice

Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Anthony, your advice seems wise re. extended high pressure. I'm comfortable about going to Little Saltee, once the weather is good and not predicted to change (it's only about an hour from Kilmore, and the main landing point is nearest to Kilmore, so takin it handy, so we'd never be far from land at all) but maybe for the longer trip, extended high pressure would be the thing. The other possibility would be to do it in two legs, ie. stop at Little Saltee and then see what we think about going on?
And Eric, of course, I'd be up for a trip nearer to home if that's what suits? Any ideas? what does anybody else think?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:41 pm

If your willing to go a little further West (West of Tramore) I have a few good spots for Bass. All inshore work and some of these spots have not seen a lure. Idea Yak Water. If there a meet in the planning, Mid to late August and I'll meet you there.

Kev

Re: Thanks again

Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Donogh wrote:Thanks again for your advice. Firstly you introduced the term 'real boats' not me.
I am well-accquainted with currents and overfalls, including those in Kilmore Quay, and worse ones. You know nothing about me or my experience. I am also aware of the landing spots, for kayaks, on both islands, and, for kayaks, they are very much our friend. I am well aware that for larger craft that is not the situation. Fortunately, all fishing kayaks are designed to be able to be righted and re-boarded single-handedly in the event of them turning over, another of the few advantages we have over larger boats. So I, and many other people, will continue fishing around Kilmore Quay. And those who know what they're about and are properly-equipped will continue to do so quite safely.
There is one real risk attached to all kayak fishin', of course, which you don't mention, which is being run over by some eejit with two big twin outboards who's not paying attention to what he's doing. But that, sadly, can happen anyhere, to kayakers, surfers or swimmers.
Most importantly, you have now made your point. No-one is suggesting that you go anywhere in any kayak so, having expressed your opinion, I wouldn't have thought it was of any further concern of yours what I, or anyone else, chooses to do.

listen buddy. What i wrote as advice for you was for your own protection. I took time out of my day to try to advise you that you are out of your depth litterally. If you want to take a childish attitude to somebody trying to put you straight for your own good thats your business. Personally it does not matter to me if you go out to the great salty and get yourself killed. my day will continue along quite sweetly so grow up! if you can't see when someone is trying to do you a good turn i am sorry i even bothered. As for your 'experience' you obviously have not any. Experience is called having a close shave and if you ever had any of those or knew the area well you would realise that going out there in a canoe for a few fish is a downright stupid thing to do. not only for yourself but for those you would call out to save you. Kilmore quay is the most tretcherous spot know. You must be very experienced indeed....

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:44 pm

anywhere around killiney, donogh

Wouldn't rule that out at all at all

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:34 pm

I wouldn't rule that out at all at all, Eric. If the weather was looking like it might be brilliant I might still take a notion of headin to Kilmore Quay and just head out to Little Saltee or maybe driftline a sandeel along St. Patrick's Bridge for bass. But if the weather's only normal/so-so, Killiney might be a great idea. How about we check how the weather's lookin Friday and confirm? Incidentally, you know Killiney well, so you might pm me with the sort of rigs/bait that you think might work best?
Donogh

Relax

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:40 pm

Jasus, Dirty fecker, getting yourself that worked up on an Internet site on something that doesn't concern you at all doesn't bode well for when you get in trouble on that boat of yours. The raw panic must be somethin to behold! Probably made those close shaves of yours a lot worse. Relax a bit. You'll be safer that way.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:18 am

Look guys. I think you should stop this!!

Dirty fecker was just giving his opinion!! Which is why we are all here isn't it. To learn from the experience of others.

I don't like the way this thread is going.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 am

Advice should be taken in the spirit it is meant lads in fairness.

Donogh, I don't doubt you probably are an extremely experienced Kayaker and maybe know the area as well as anyone but let Lukes comments stand as they serve as a warning at the very least to others who may not be as capable as yourself who on reading this post may decide themselves to give it a try.

And lads, go easy on each other. Its the Internet, sometimes words dont translate as well to the printed page and can seem a bit abrupt. I've seen a lot of Dirty feckers posts here and elsewhere and I speak up for the guy as a helpful bloke.

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 am

Totally Agree Pete. Go easy lads.

The advice offered is good solid advice. Unless you are a very experienced Yaker, A trip out to the Saltee's should not be considered.

Kev

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Fair enough

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:14 pm

By the way Kev, didn't spot your post about poss trip near Tramore sometime mid-August. I might well be on for that, I have some time off around then. Maybe gis a shout if you have a particular date in mind?

kayak

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:58 pm

well are you going or not? the weather forecast looks as good as you will get?

i think dirty fecker was right to post his view as the forum is for debate and you
envisage in the second line of your plan the possibility of getting into serious trouble.

my own view is that i am a coward and would not attempt to cross the pond in stephens
green on one. The sea only has to get lucky once, you have to get lucky everytime
its just waiting there to kill you if you show disrespect

Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Donogh wrote:By the way Kev, didn't spot your post about poss trip near Tramore sometime mid-August. I might well be on for that, I have some time off around then. Maybe gis a shout if you have a particular date in mind?

I'll let you know a little closer to the date. I'm all over the place at the moment in work. Still have 4 weeks leave to take and can't seem to fit it in.

Kev