Duke, Cork Harbour, 21/07/2008

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 am

People: me and Petekd

Duration: 19:00-22:30

Tide: HW 20:26

Weather: Warm, patchy cloud, little breeze

Bait: fresh mack, frozen squid

Rigs: a blingy wishbone (size 4), 3 hook flowing trace(size 4?), 4/0 single hook, feathers

Results: mackerel,grey gurnard,plaice,dab,dogs and a lesser weaver fish

Report: The fishing marathon continues....Got a call from Pete so risking the wrath of the family, I headed out with him. Beautiful evening, not too many others out surprisingly.

We opted for the drift back into the harbour first from harbour rock, spotting some midwater fish on the fish finder, we dropped out some feathers and managed ourselves a good few mackerel, seems they have finally moved back into the harbour.

Pete gave me his 'guaranteed plaice' wishbone rig to try as I'd left most of my rigs sitting beside my sink after rinsing them. How could I fail with that kind of a guarantee? :roll:

Couple of grey gurnard to Pete on that drift, but nothing else, so we headed back into the harbour and anchored up at Pete's plaice mark. Nothing doing there, other than a few crabs.

Drifted back out over ground we hadn't fished before, Pete managing a couple of plaice, one of a nice size, and a weaver fish to increase his species count for the year. I managed a large edible crab, but it dropped off beside the boat.

The buoy next for a blonde or two we hoped, but just a mass of doggies out there. A rod out each with squid and another rod out for any dabs etc that might be around. Only doggies showing on all the rods. I missed a couple of runs on my squid baits, but no hook ups. Managed a doggie anyway, Pete got the lions share of them.

With the light starting to fade, we opted for another drift back out the harbour over the bank and up to harbour rock. I managed a dab early on on the drift, but don't think we got anything else before we headed in.

Quite quiet really, but pleasant. Think I only boated some mackerel, a doggie and a dab and missed and dropped a few others, so a bad night for me - I'm blaming Pete's magic wishbone rig :P . Nice night to be out though apart from Pete humming Jesus Christ superstar for no apparent reason for half the trip.:lol:

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:36 am

Nice night to be out though apart from Pete humming Jesus Christ superstar for no apparent reason for half the trip.

I was hoping for some form of divine intervention on your behalf as you hadnt caught a fish for the first 3 hours..... :D

The Lesser Weaver fish brought up the nice figure of 20 species aboard Duke this year which is at least double what I had last year I'm sure. Not sure where all the dabs had gone which is strange but nice to get a couple of plaice. The hunt for a blonde ray continues however.....

Cork Harbour

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:46 am

Thankfully between the big tides and settled weather the dirty fresh water has been flushed out. Fishing can only but improve. At least the mackeral are back. Caught them as far in as the Refinery last Thursday. Sunday night caught them off the quays in Cobh and last night caught them off the Refinery again.