Tigger II, Oysterhaven 20/07/2008

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm

People: Me and my other half

Duration: 6.30 - 17.30 8)

Tide: HW around 8am

Weather: chilly breeze, sunny, cloudy

Bait: fresh mack and some manky frozen rag I found at the bottom of the freezer

Rigs: size 2 flowing traces, 2/0 flappers, 6/0 single hook

Results: cuckoo wrasse, ballan wrasse, grey gurnard, mackerel, dogfish, pollack, ling

Report: No kids for weekend, so we decided to go for a cruise/fishing trip. Little bit of a chop out there, but nothing serious. Out early on Ling Rock, plenty of mackerel, loads of cuckoo wrasse, good number of ling (either tiny or around the 5lb mark for some reason)and the odd ballan and gurnard, all taken on the drift over the northern part of the rock.
Lynda had a good tussle with a ling, gave a good account of itself making me think it was a big one, but turned out it was just hooked in the dorsal fin and able to fight a bit harder, so my honour was saved.
With Lynda not having her sea legs and with the rank smell of my tackle box (fishing tackle box!), she felt a bit queasy so headed over to the old head of Kinsale for a nosey around having never been over there in a boat before.
In the lee of the old head was pretty pleasant and after a spot of lunch we fished for a while oicking up a couple of doggies. Slowly headed back round the coast taking in the view and watching seals, and headed to another mark to try for a thornies and flatties , but came up blank save for a big edible crab.
Headed out to the sovereigns to get a few promised mackerel and then home.
Lovely day, cooler than you'd think, but we still managed to get a good bit of sun.