Apollo has landed Cork harbour 16-07-08

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:35 pm

People: Myself

Duration: 30lts.
Tide: on the drop

Weather: breezy

Bait: smelly rag and fresh macks

Rigs: the ones Mr. Rayner would like to see :lol: :lol:

Results: 8 species: Dog, Huss, Conger, Pollack, Dab, Whiting, Grey Gurnard and Tub Gurnard

Report:

Having bought the boat on the 21st. of June off Fish Magnet from the BAI site this was its firsh launch.
The plans was only to take it for a spin test my launching and retieving and get to know the electronics.
But then what angler in his right sences would launch a boat without bring a long some gear with him.
Contacted Tony Tait the local small boat angling expert to act as observer for the launching, well you do need some one to blame if things go wrong.
With the boat launcher single handed it was off to the open sea.
First stop the Turbot bank for a few macks but nothing showing.
Pete and Paul arrive on the seen and with a few words across the water I headed for the harbour rock where I picked up 3 in the first drop.
Back to the bank for a few drifts and a mack for Pete. With nothing showing only dabs I headed back outside and dropped the anchor for 40 minutes and played with the electronics.
Headed back into the bank and with the tide in full drop the drift was streight out the harbour. Again nothing but dabs the sight of a flock of Terns working the water on the Crosshaven side of the harbour 8) it was lines up and go. Yamaha 80 four stroke on the back of warrior165 "Ferrari of the sea" :D :D . A blast quick of macks and back to the bank, with a stop off to Pete :P :P with another few for his bait box.
Opted for the long drift this time as I pass No. 6 I did a bit of ancoring with the engine this produced a nice whiting of about 1.5lb.

With time pushing on and a few words with Pete :oops: and Paul, the big conger angler, it was back to Aghada and a single handed retrieve.

First impressions let Mr. Rayner bask in the glory of his boat species count for 2008 :D :D the Dominator is back on the water. :lol: :lol:
must check the tides for midnight Jan. 1st 2009

apollo

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Wondered where all my rigs had gone after the last comp in kilmore!!
So, i feel you are going for the species hunt next year! well at least you should get a corkwing :D
looking forward to it
regards
screeming

Re: apollo

Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:06 pm

screeming reels wrote:Wondered where all my rigs had gone after the last comp in kilmore!!

If I can remember properly you threw them overboard because you only finished 2nd. to me 8) :P :lol: :lol:
Anyway they were only poor copies of mine. words like "Here we go here we go here we go" come to mind
Roll on Cahersiveen next weekend for the Rosies tow-away.

TOW AWAY

Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Hi ,
just in case theres any confusion whilst on the species hunt,
picture of a bull huss!!! :P :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Just back from the pub 8) :D :D , if you can remember the Sunday of the Small Boats Last year I showed you a mark where we go over 10 huss before we caught a dogfish.
Huss are now a by-catch in Cork harbour 8) :lol:

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Excellent news on the boat Donal, hope you have many happy hours fishing in her.

donals new boat

Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:03 pm

hi donal hope your new boat is going good for you . u may bring us out if we are ever down cork way. by the way here is a few pictures of you tormenting wicklow bay sea gulls :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 pm

Best of luck with the boat Donal(you collected it from my place)...she is a beaut and very quick too but don't tell Magnet that :lol:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:38 am

Hi Keith was wondering when these pics would turn up. Cracking day of doggie bashing. Any time your down this way let me know and I'll show you water where dogs don't exist.

For the welfare people the gull did live to fly away

Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:55 am

septicsac wrote:Best of luck with the boat Donal(you collected it from my place)...she is a beaut and very quick too but don't tell Magnet that :lol:

Took "her indoors" :shock: for a run in it yesterday clocked up over 40 miles from calm seas on the way out to a good chop on the way back the boat came through without a bother.
The offer is there any time ye are down this way.

donal

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:09 am

Hi,
Suppose that "bird" rig is top secret also!! would work well in a pub prehaps!!!! :D
screeming

Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:42 am

Great News Donal.... Good luck with the new boat, she looks a beaut.

I'll have a copy of the Gull rig as well please :lol:

Kev

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:27 pm

Best of luck with her Donal, but god help the sealife in your part of the world.. (above and below the water line :D :D ).

Apollo

Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Congrat Donal on getting Magnets boat. Apollo passed from one mad f&*cker to another :D Shes a good boat alright. enjoy!