Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:50 am

People: Me, Vjaceslavs, Janis and Eland

Duration: 19:00-23:30

Tide: LW 22:00ish

Weather: Warm

Bait: Mackerel

Rigs: feathers, hokkais, 2 hook flowing, shamrock animal rigs

Results: 2 mackerel, pollack, dogs, huss and a coalie

Report: 14th - With a beautiful evening, threw the boat in with my Latvian friend and his two sons. Didn't bring any bait as we thought we'd pick up plenty of mackerel. Took us 2.5 hours of drifting all around the harbour to catch two of them for bait, with a brief drift over harbour rock to make sure the young lads actually caught a fish, managing a couple of pollack each.
Drifted the bank using half the mackerel in strips to try and pick up some flatties, but all I managed were 4 starfish??
Anyway, decided to try the huss mark which had been so good the last time I was out - although wasn't looking forward to rationing the bait.
Great move anyway, we had a steady stream of dogs and huss coming to the boat for the couple of hours we were there. Every drop we were getting one, having to wait no more than 10 minutes. It was great. The lads were delighted. Eland caught the biggest huss of the night and was delighted, as far as I can tell the video and picture of it is doing the rounds of Latvia at the moment :D - it's great when you can help make someones day like that.
Beautiful evening to be out, with what little breeze there was being lovely and warm, I love evenings like that. Headed back to the slip happy.
15th - flushed with success from the day before and hearing that Pete was heading out in his boat, decided I had to go out again. Ended up not getting down to the slip until after 8. Conditions, while not bad, were not a patch on the night before. Arrived out to find Pete and Paul not particularly enthused with the fishing. After about an hour they were more interested in chips and they decided to go back in - being by myself and given that the fishing wasn't great, I followed them in. Had two hookups (pollack and a dog most likely), but lost both so my first boat blank !!! :oops:
Anyway, hasn't put me off, going out tonight again........