People:jw jd

Duration:7-10.30

Tide:In at 11 ish

Weather: Slight Breeze, cloudy

Bait:Mack,Rag,Crab Squid

Rigs: Mainly animal, various scratching

Results: 15+ small smoothies, 1 pup tope

Report:

The original plan had been to fish the Bennet Bank, but on passing the Nose we found the breeze a bit stiffer, and the sea a bit choppier, than we expected. With the wind forecast to increase, we decided to try for mackeral around Ireland's Eye, and stay inshore.

We didn't pick up any macks, but there were plenty of small whiting and Gurnard. After about half an hour we moved to the sand and tried for some smooth hound, it being one species not caught from the boat.

After about 20 minutes I had a determined bite, and reeled in what I thought was the first smut for the boat. It was actually an angry little tope that had taken a whole squid!

10 moinutes later I had another bite, and quickly had a small smut in to the boat. After that we took in aa succession of Smooth Hound that gradually increased in size. It all stoped on slack water, sio we took the cue and headed home..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:00 pm

i started off fishing in the pete davis style, number 4 hooks and small baits,
but was being outfished 6 to 1 by jd and the shamrock animal rig, 3/0 hooks
to 100lb snoods with large lumps of squid and peeler, so when he wasn't
looking i stole one of those rigs from his wallet. All were starry smooth hounds
and fight like demons for their size

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Nice one lads. Great thievery JW.
I can confirm that Pete was actaully using the shamrock animal rigs to catch huss the other day, rather than his usual size 4s. He generously gave me a shot of one to get my first huss, so I didn't have to resort to raiding his tackle box.
Don't knock the size 4s though, later on I hooked a relatively decent conger on a size 4 with a small piece of rag whilst I was getting some wrasse. Managed to get it to the boat as well.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm

well done lads not bad fishing there