People:Myself and Al in Misty Dawn.... and a few other boats

Duration: 10:30 - 18:30 ish

Tide:Ebbing and some of the flood

Weather: Nice and Overcast with a little wind

Bait: Mackerel

Rigs:Running Ledger to 120lb bite trace

Results:Raymonds

Report:

Myself and Al met up with a PaulB Damien and PUG of BAI fame. The plan was to get a few macks and then head out to the one of the Dublin Bay Banks to try for some Ray. Myself and Al were a bit late in the Water as we had to wait for a boat to be offloaded by the harbourmaster into the water. It was a fairly large fishing boat....about 26 ish feet, so they took up the whole slip. :roll:

The macks were hard to come by for us. The lads got a few but it was very scratchy. I was seriously starting to regret the 3 that I dropped off. After about 50 mins of so we had about 10 and decided to not waste any more time on them and head off to the banks and get the anchor down.

We were spread out all over Dublin Bay. Myself and Damien were only getting a couple of Dogs. We had a chat to the Radio and Paul had already got 3 tope and a Ray..... We pulled the anchor at double speed and we were off at 20 knots to meet Paul. We droped Anchor about 80 Meters or so away and setted it. First drop confirmed that a change of venue was worth while with a nice ray to about 4lb coming to me.

After a few dogs I got another Ray of about the same size. Paul got a couple more as well. I think PUG and Damien were just getting the Dogs that, thankfully were not too think on the ground.

It went very quite for a while and a change of wind sawn my boat swing in front of Paul. I wasn't happy with the position as I was impeeding Paul's fishing. Not the decent thing to do when the guy has put you on the mark. :wink:

So I decided that a change might be a good idea. A quick look at the plotter and I found what I (Greenhorn) though looking like a good place to be in the flooding tide. We pulled Anchor again, (got to start practicing the Alderney Method) let the lads know where we were heading and off we went. We were only about a mile further up the bank. We dropped Anchor again, and settled in. Things were very quite for about an hour.

The other lads had picked up a couple of fish so it was looking like a bad idea to pull anchor..... Once the Tide picked up a little we got a few more Dogs and I managed a 5lb Ray, With Al getting a nice fish of 9lbs. Both bites came within seconds of each other.

Just as we were thinking about heading off (It looked like one of the ships was heading my direction) I got what I thought was a doggie bite, I lifted in and straight away knew it was a better fish. I really struggled to lift the fish off the bottom. The rod was well doubled over.

A few minutes into the fight Al noticed a bite as well. He struck into another decent fish that had his Rod bent Double.

Al was also struggling to lift the fish in the tide, so while he was mucking around like a Girl, I managed to land, weigh and Take a few Photos of my fish.

The Fish Weighed in at 12lb 8oz after a little weight for the boat to stop rolling and the scales to settle.

Just as I got the fish back in the Water, we got some Colour on Al's fish. It was a cracking view to see Al's fish coming up and mine swiming off just underneath it.

We got Al's fish into the boat, and it was looking like the Jammy Dodger was going to do it again. We waited on the scales to settle and when it did, the Ray was 13lb on the nail. Cracking fish for Dublin bay, and he won the .5 for the biggest fish of the day.

We fished on, for another 20 minutes with only a doggie to show and and nice close up (800 Meters or so) of the Celtic Star as she steamed right accross the the Bank. So we decided to up Anchor and Call it a day. I think I'm starting to like this boat fishing lark....

Kev

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:45 pm

thats it i'm getting about and i dont care if i get divorced

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Lovely fish & pics. Nice to see the rods bend like that :)
Have to get out on a boat. (Not a bit jealous here :twisted: ).

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Great report and pics Mac. You'd wan to find out what Mr. Jammy is drinking and get a few pints for in to you... :lol: :lol:

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Great report and pics Mac. You'd want to find out what Mr. Jammy is drinking and get a few pints in to you... 8)

Well done Al. Between the cost of the boat and winning bets you'll have him smashed in a couple of months.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Kev,

It was good crack that day...I've alway's wanted to fish that end of the bank as it tapers off right where we were.

I got Three Tope which were released at the side of the boat (as my Daughter is terriffied of them)but at a good guess the first one was over 40lbs..the other two between 25-30bs all in about 45mins.

Check out the video of the tope my daughter took........[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhMRFA9wAjw[/url]
Funnily enough I also got a Ray10lb 5oz and 13lbs 4oz which gave a great scrap.
My daughter was fishing a two hook flapper on the bottom baited with strips of Mackerel every drop She was getting double shots of dab..all in all she had about 40 dabs....next time out I'll be using them for Bait !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dublin

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Well done guys! The way some fellas would talk you'd say there was nothing to be caught in Dublin Bay! Nice sized fish and nice pictures & video.

Paul, you'll have to do something about the crew colours, those shorts will not do. More St. Tropez than Dublin Bay! :D :D

Ye should send some of those Pictures to Irish Angler for Fish of the Month.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Cheers Lads,

There seems to be a few decent fish about Jim. One of the lads got a nice 2lb Tub as well. With the commercial lads giving the Bay a bit of a rest, hopefully the fishing will recover a bit. One thing is for sure, there must be millions of 3oz Dabs about. :shock: Any small hook with a strip of Mack will get you one.

They are a good Bait for the Tope Paul, as the Dogs will leave them alone. It looks like myself and Paul bought our shades in the same shop :lol:

Kev

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Jim,

They're a bit bright alright but the Fish Love 'em :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Nice one Kev,

We spent a lot of time on Sunday trying to get ourselves a ray in cork harbour to no avail, but we still had fun picking up other bits and pieces. At least I know where they had all gone :)

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:43 pm

great fishing mac we will have to meet up soon for a mini meet in the bay!

regards

brian

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Sounds like a plan Brian. Struggling a bit this weekend though as I'm fishing the open on Saturday evening. I will let you know when I'm out there next.

Kev

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Super stuff lads, nice to see you getting a bit of fishing in that new boat too Kev, fair play. Loving the puffed cheeks and bent rod in that pic, was that fish giving you grief..... :D Als got some cheek, anyone else would have shaken the fish off at the side of the boat, just to make sure they get taken out again..... :lol:

Well done fellas....

Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:34 am

Here's a photo of the Tub caught, as Kev & Paul say it was'nt a bad day in the end.

[img]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4277/pict0006rd9.jpg[/img]

Damien

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 pm

Great report lads, are you far off the shore, we're getting plenty of Tope up around Carlingford at the minute.