Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm

People: jw mac

Duration: 1400-2100

Tide: high at 1700

Weather: light westerly

Bait: dogs dabs rag squid, frozen macks

Rigs: ledgers

Results: Tope ray dogs dabs

Report: couldn't find a mackerel within ten nautical miles of malahide, they were
so thick you could walk on the water last year, had to use the dabs and dogs as bait,
still got the target species tope and ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 pm

great stuff john lovely tope, did you get the tope on the dab i have had some big tope on dabs in the past its a good bait for them. i might be heading out friday after work if you fancy meeting up in the bay.

well done

brian

dab

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:22 pm

yes brian, the dogs would not touch the dab it caught the tope

probably domestic payback time at the weekend

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 pm

cool and sure ill talk to ye soon maybe get out next week some time for a tope session

brian

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Dabs seem to be a good bait alright. The nice thing is the dogs seem to leave them alone. We were invaded by the dogs this evening. Bait wasn't on the bottom 20 seconds and you were into one, so a switch to a different bait was the only way to go.

I fished with half of the smallest dog I caught in an attempt to catch a big fish or go bust :D Anyone ever caught on half a dog :?: ..... Decent scent trail and very tough long lasting bait. The only problem is getting a nice small one.

I might be knocking around the bay myself towards the weekend Brian. I will PM you close to the time and we might sort out a mini meet

Kev

tope

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 am

Very fine fish, Skipper, congratulations! (Tho I don't know about the hat, when you're the skipper you really shouldn't have to shout about it.) I'm looking forward to catching one on the kayak. (or maybe not)

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:06 pm

Dabs are an excellent Tope bait......... :wink:

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm

as too are flounder :wink:

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:58 pm

sound kev ill talk to ye then

brian

Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:28 pm

dabs are a staple food of tope. they are more often than not bottom feeders. a great tactic when the dogs are in packs.