Misty Dawn, Howth 08-06-08

Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:24 pm

People:Myself and Al(Zulu man)

Duration:12:00 - 20:00

Tide:Low water rising & back towards Low

Weather: Nice, little wind and mostly overcast wish smooth seas.

Bait:Mack and Rag and some frozen peeler

Rigs: Baited muppets and 2 hook Pats.

Results:Macks, Whiting, Dabs, Dogs, Pollock Wrasse and a Cod

Report:Zulu Man strikes again.

Only got the boat in the water for Midday as I forgot the key for the engine and made the mistake of asking the wife to drop it off. Of course the hair had to be done, the car needed fuel and of course, we had to take the worst possible route to Howth...... :evil:

We decided to try get a few Macks around Irelands Eye. They were difficult to come accross, but we managed a few over an hour or two and then headed off to the Bennet Bank and try for a Ray or Tope. Having never fished the Bennet before the plan was to Anchor a few hundred meters away from the peak of the bank. I'm not sure if this is the place to be or not, but this is the spot we chose. We got quite a few dogs, but no Ray. Should have got there earlier as we were pushed off by the tide after a couple of hours. So it was back into Howth to scratch around for a bit before we called it a day. We tried a few different spots and managed some Pollock to about a 1lb and some Wrasse to 3.5lb. Ally the Git also managed a Cod that weighted in at 5.25lbs. Cracking Fish for the area, never mind the time of year.

A decent day out, Just have to concentrate a bit more on the Bennet and Kish banks to try catch a few Ray and Tope.

Looking forward to the next trip already.

Kev

Great start

Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Great start Kev

Its vitally important that the first few trips you forget either
The keys
The bung
The rods
The petrol

This is character building and makes all the smooth trips that much more enjoyable

Nice fishing

Kev

Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:36 pm

That was about my 5th trip out. 2nd proper trip, The others were mostly running the engine in for a few hours here and there with a small bit of fishing on the side. Did get out last weekend, but it was just Dogs, Dabs and mini Whiting and a tiny gurnard. Just need to get a few marks now and I'll be on my way. Will have to try a tope session next.

I'm a forgetful feck anyway, and it I get very frustrated...... A couple of half decent fish soon sorted that out though. :D The 2 hook pats out fished the baited muppets by a mile. Might try to keep it more simple next time.

Kev

Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:32 pm

I keep the spare boat & trailer key on the van keys just in case, set off once on my own and even forgot to put the rods in the boat :oops:
Have you used those 2 way plastic beads? superb for paternosters, slipped sone 80lb line through one the other week for the spurdog and had a good conger on it, and they took a fair beating, only paid 70c for 10.
Sean

Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 pm

SeanP wrote:I keep the spare boat & trailer key on the van keys just in case, set off once on my own and even forgot to put the rods in the boat :oops:
Have you used those 2 way plastic beads? superb for paternosters, slipped sone 80lb line through one the other week for the spurdog and had a good conger on it, and they took a fair beating, only paid 70c for 10.
Sean

Going to do the same myself Sean,

No point in having the Boat key and spare in the same drawer at home. :roll:

Haven't tried the two way beads yet Sean. Will give them a look. Did you pick them up on flea Bay?

Kev

Re: Misty Dawn, Howth 08-06-08

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:40 am

MAC wrote:Should have got there earlier as we were pushed off by the tide after a couple of hours.

Sorry MAC what you mean by pushed off by the tide? Were u on anchor?

Sounds like a lovely cod. Any pics? or did u forget the camera as well. :wink: :D

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:51 am

Hey Bigstyle,

The Anchor held no problem, but the bait and leads were being lifted by the tide run, so we decided to haul it up.

Al has a few pics. I'll try get them up for tomorrow.

Kev

Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Good fishing lads, looking forward to the pic's, especially the cod 8)

Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:57 pm

MAC wrote:Haven't tried the two way beads yet Sean. Will give them a look. Did you pick them up on flea Bay?

Kev

I got them in Landers, Tralee, had been trying to find the mustad ones for a while, see [url]http://www.boat-angling-ireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=22372&highlight=#22372[/url]

The uptide method works well in fast tides, depend on depth right enough, we were in 45' last weekend with 3.5knts tide and could hold a flapper with a 150grm gripper, we didn't catch owt tho!!!
Cheers
Sean

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am

Here are a couple of the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 am

Nice Cod there look nice with some chips yeooo

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Good to see your getting the time to get her out Kev, still in drydock myself although this is the kind of inspiration I need. Must finish the anti fouling this evening....

Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:12 pm

Ha Ha! Al strikes again. Jesus Kev your gonna have to stop bringing that man fishing with you! Lovely cod that.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I know Sean,,,, the guy must have rescued 50 grannies from a blazing building in a previous life. :lol: :lol: The fishing gods are looking after him big style in this life. Let me know when you back in Dublin and we'll get out for a trip.

Kev