sharkbait, outcast masters

Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:17 pm

People:myself,paul and sean

Duration:12:30- 6pm

Tide:on the flood

Weather:flat calm

Bait:squid,whiting,mackerel and sandeel

Rigs:animal flowers

Results:me- 73 dogs and 1 blonde ray-178pts, paul-85 dogs 1 smoothie198pts,sean- 87 dogs, 1 smoothie 1 thornback ray234pts

Report:first masters of the year for me, not very good at boat competition fishing but i try me best anyway, set out on paul's boat, sharkbait, and proceeded to feather up a few mackerel and whiting around the bouy. recently ive been using whiting to good effect for dogs off the shore and since they die most of the time anyway i decided to put a few to use all in the name of science. headed out to one off paul's marks in the wicklow area and began fishing a little late first few drops yielded a few dogs each,whiting was fishing equally as effective as mackerel for me, but didnt last long as all i kept was two pins. with sean taking a small lead, half an hour later he hooked into a nice smoothie around the 12lb bracket, paul and i continued with a steady stream of dogs each keeping us in the running. another hour passed and with all of us still in contention for the win, sean landed yet another species this time a thornback around 6lbs. hour three yielded yet more dogs and another hound this time a common for paul, once again it was around 10-12lbs. the tide was really racing in now and about an hour before we moved i got my second ever blonde ray, with spots running all the way to the edge of the wings i was positive of its i'd and paul backed me up, happy days. we had to move closer to the shore as the tide had become too strong, for the first half an hour i caught nothing, nada, zilsh, the lads had 10 each or so, paul suggested a change to orange muppets, the minute i switched over i was back into fish and finished up with 10 for the hour, the lads had 23 and 20 respectively, that no fish period cost me any chance of winning the match, my final total landed me right bang in the middle finishing in 6th place out of 12 anglers, thanks to paul for showing me some good tricks, they'l make a boat angler of me yet :wink:

masters

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi,
If your estimate of the weight of the smoothies is correct, either they were fantastic specimen smoothies or possibly tope,?
Great days fishing all the same,
regards
screeming

Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:15 pm

definitely smoothies,took squid. both female and very fat,