SAI MA 1 2008, Cork Harbour, 05/05/08

Tue May 06, 2008 11:56 am

People:Myself, Seirt Schultz, Donal Domeney, JD, JW, Dave Jolly, Mick Fitz, Brianbru, Anto, Martin Raynor (screeming reels) Aaron Power, Damien Doran.

Duration:11-4

Bait:Various

Rigs:Various.

Results:Cod, Ling, Dogfish, Bull Huss, Pollack, Whiting, Cuckoo Wrasse, Ballan Wrasse, Whiting, Coalies, 3 Bearded Rockling, Grey Gurnard, Poor cod, Pouting

Report:

Following the weather affected cancellation of the 1st foray in Kilmore Quay 12 of us set off on a fine morning from Monkstown and out of Cork Harbour. It was nice to see a few new faces with 8 of the crew making their SAI debuts so to speak. Species king Screeming Reels, Current Irish International Dave Jolly amongst others were going to add a bit of spice to proceedings.

It was a crying shame however that the fish neglected to pay any attention to this and were conspicuous by their absence. The Harbour had fished well recently but fishing on the day itself, disappointingly was poor. For my own part, with the new size limits in place and quotas in place I had geared up with a variety of rigs, intending to fish small baits and scratch as many species out as possible.

11 am arrived and lines were dropped down in a buzz of anticipation, I had managed to get myself pegged beside Donal Domeney and the banter and debate (mostly over lead colour of all things ) raged throughout the day :D . The fishing as mentioned was however poor with Mick Fitz taking the inital lead on our boat with a handful of various bits. We moved and began drifting a patch of mixed ground. I found fish beginning to come with some regularity, mostly small ling and whiting with an odd cuckoo, pouting and the like in between. Time passed and with the fishing pretty much gone off completely on the drift, we went to anchor.

Donal began to put a dent in the pouting population here rattling his way to his quota while I, pegged beside him, struggled to pull in a couple. A nice surprise came when having switched to a light running leger rig with size 4s on 20lb fluoro I managed to light into some considerable weight. With the poor Anaga hooped over once again, a dour fight ensued. Taking it very easy (these bigger fish are a pain in the proverbials on this gear.... :D ) Several minutes later, after maximum care being taken, a nice lump of a Bull Huss was ably netted by Donie Geary. Anto had managed a bigger one 5 minutes beforehand. My poor little size 4 Sakuma was neatly nestled in the scissors and was badly bent out of shape but had held thank god. Funny that, as the last time I fished aboard John Boy in the last comp of the year I managed a 13-14lber, on a size 4 also..... Running leger rig again had me calling for the net to some embarassment when it turned out to be a mere LSD..... :oops: :lol:

Time passed and with scratchy fishing around and the mysterious absence of Ballan wrasse from the cards, I geared up the wrasse gear and managed after some time to winkle one out. 2 more were caught on our boat towards the end but they werent present in any numbers surprisingly. John Diamond mounted a late charge with some reasonable pollack. Both myself and Donal, for the last 20 minutes had reached for the Conger gear but to no avail. 4pm came around, lines were drawn, it was all over for another day....

The other boat had had a similar days fishing to ourselves with a mixture of bits and pieces also. Cards were counted and the results were as follows.....

1st PeteKD, John Boy 29 fish, 11 Species, 374 points, 100%
2nd Martin Raynor, Lacosta 23 fish, 6 species, 296 points, 100%
3rd Damien Doran, Lacosta 19 fish, 8 Species, 295 points, 99%
4th Dave Jolly, Lacosta 34 fish, 6 species, 272 points, 92%
5th Siert Schultz, Lacosta 18 fish, 7 species, 230 points, 78%
6th Aaron Power, Lacosta 11 fish, 5 species, 177 points, 60%
7th Donal Domeney, John Boy 20 fish, 7 species, 210 points, 56%
8th Mick Fitzgerald, John Boy 16 fish, 5 species, 191 points, 51%
9th Brianbru, John Boy 10 fish, 7 species, 165 points, 44%
10th JD, John Boy 13 fish, 6 species, 164 points, 43%
11th Anto, John Boy 7 fish, 5 species, 121 points, 32%
12th JW, Lacosta 8 fish, 2 species, 74 points, 25%

Many thanks to Donie Geary skipper of John Boy who was a gent as ever. Big up too to the absent Mick Barry whose tips, rig and its numerous copies worked very well on a slow day, cheers fella.

Its Dunmore East next time out in 3 weeks time, looking forward to it already..... :D

Tue May 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Great report as usual Pete. Well done lads - was raging I could not make it.

Tue May 06, 2008 5:00 pm

great report pete, well done on your win

Tue May 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Didn't really get going but I got this Grey Gurnard. Just off spec weight.

Tue May 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Now that's a beaut of a G Gurnard!

sai 1

Tue May 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Well done all concerned! That touch of east in the wind is only a biatch :)

Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 am

You get a Corkwing Wrasse Jim.....??? :lol: :lol: :wink:

sai 1

Wed May 07, 2008 11:07 am

My good man, one glance at the Small Boats Festival results for the last few years would show we don't need another corkwing mark! :D

Wed May 07, 2008 11:33 am

:D I still reckon you were looking for a gimme..... :D

sai

Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

There's no such thing :D :D

Wed May 07, 2008 2:31 pm

Its a three bearded rockling mark there looking for!!!!!!!

sai

Wed May 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Not exactly. :)
We are looking for a mark where we can catch a slug in the space of about 10 mins while fishing for about three other species at the same time! :D :D

Sure its no wonder ye are favourites Martyn!!

ling

Wed May 07, 2008 5:36 pm

ling

asleep

Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm

asleep

Wed May 07, 2008 6:43 pm

well done lads sum nice fishin. well done on da win pete :D :D