any tips on pimping your kayak?

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Lads,

Getting a deal on two 2nd hand Ocean kayaks (a Frenzy and a Yak) - one for me and one for my other half....
Obviously want to do a bit of fishing off my one, not going to be mounting any fish finders or gps etc (that's what my boat is for), but would be interested if anyone has a good idea how to mount something on those for rods and tackle - I was thinking making a hole and fitting a rod holder flush into yak would be an idea as in the capers - or at least what I think they have done in the capers, but hoping one of you could guide me or have done something similar......no idea on the tackle box, was maybe just going to strap a water proof box on the yak itself.
Last time I went out on a friends yak, just had the rod and some spinners lying between my legs which was a bit precarious, although it was just a Lidls extendable special so didn't care a bit what happened to it - but it was great fun :)
Anyway, any ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

Thu May 01, 2008 9:54 am

I bought a kayak with flush mounts already installed.

But because i'm fly fishing crazy. I added some Ram rod holders, these come with ram balls that are easy to fit anywhere on the yak. Just a few small drill holes.

I've added a fish finder, some rod tethers. Also some bunge straps for my tackle ,ground anchor and a wind anchor.

Check out http://www.h2okayaks.com these guys will deliver the very next day and they are a very nice bunch of lads.

milk crate

Thu May 01, 2008 10:42 am

get a crate and put two lengths of pipe in the corners with cable ties for rod holders and stick the rest of yer gear in it .... go fishing a few times before ye drill any holes ...check out kayakfishingstuff.com or google kayak rigging ...the options are endless...everybody has there own preferences my advice would be to keep it simple until you really need something diy kayak rigging seems to be an obsession

Thu May 01, 2008 11:34 am

That's sound advice.

I added the ram rod holders because my fly reel would not let out line under tension in the scotty mount.So i needed one that would accomodate my big fly reel.

I needed the wind sock, because I couldn't fish lakes on a windy day.Fly was moving too fast in the water.

Needed the anchor again.

I just added the fish finder for no reason. But I can mean the difference between blanking and success.

Thu May 01, 2008 12:35 pm

cheers lads
appreciate the advice. I guess the crate is a good idea until i figure it out properly, recommendations on anchors please if you have any thoughts- hadn't thought about that :oops:

Thu May 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Any small anchor. It doesn't need to be much weight.
The only problem is, most come with 30ft of anchor rope. To be honest, that is ok if you are fishing in 10ft of water. But it can stop you from drifting into danger and allow you time to think about your escape.

Also, if you can go for one that can anchor up in smooth ground.
No doubt as I get out more, I will be buying more stuff :D

Re: any tips on pimping your kayak?

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:12 am

I realise this thread is a few months old, but I just came accross this...

sunnyrhylDOTcoDOTuk.jpg

Comes from http://www.sunnyrhyl.co.uk/kayakdiary/k ... 1_2006.htm
via http://www.sunnyrhyl.co.uk/kayakdiary.htm

Fishfinder, transducer, GPS, *BIG* anchor, VHF....
Or what about this guy's second version?

sunnyrhylDOTcoDOTuk2.jpg

sunnyrhylDOTcoDOTuk3.jpg

Inshore Flare pack, Sirius marine antenna, the list goes on...
Overkill or under-equipped? :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.