Kilmore Quay Friday 2nd Dec 2004

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Kilmore Quay Friday 2nd Dec 2004

Postby kieran » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:25 am

Hi

Myself, Eamonn and Donal from the forum met on the quay and Dick Hayes took us out in his Offshore 105 the Enterprise. (Lots of trekkie fans amongst the skippers clearly, there's another Enterprise up in Donegal :lol: ).

Weather was very fair, light SW breeze, high tide was around 9 am so we fished it on the way down and just around the turn to 3 p.m.

Had enough bait for the average angling competition. Boxes of squid, freozen and live peeler, ragworm, mackerel.

Fished the foul ground and mixed ground on a very fast drift off the SE off the Saltee Island about 5 miles offshore. Using biated mackerel feathers and due to heavy losses (mostly myself :oops: ) switched to two boom rigs as supplied by Procast Angling. They work well but can tangle in the current to with fish on....

To my eternal slagging, Eamonn, the absolute beginner took in the best cod at around 6 lbs. There were several in the 3 - 4 lb category but the majority were quite small with quite a few being returned to grow up. A nice pollack of around 6 lbs came aboard (Eamonn again!) and we hit some nice cuckoo wrasse to average size. Crab was by far the most effective bait with squid fished right on the bottom catching codling as well.

The need to fish right on the bottom on a fast drift led to high tackle losses.

Dick recommends using an elastic band as a rotten link to the leads and it works as well as anything else I've seen. The highlight however was three specimen wrasse being landed within seconds of each other other off the same drift. I have never seen anything like it, and Gawd help us but Eamonn had the biggest again - we'll never hear the end of it! A 5.5 lber.

A very nice day out, Dick kept our hands warm with loads of tea and coffee. By the way his brother and himself have had two tope over the Irish record including an 84 lber this year, and some local lad landed a tope off a carp rod on a small boat!!!!

Eamonn is totally hooked on the experience and now want to wander up to Mayo to tackle a Skate. I've explained to him that there is a wee jump in standard between a 6 lb cod and a 160 lb skate but no matter!

No photos, left the camera in the car :cry:

I'll let you all know what the cod tastes like and Eamonn will be on the gallery or I'll be shot! Donal had an excellent day as well adding the two wrasse to his species lists, and definitely landed a specimen ballen.

For myself, my best effort was a decent codling around 4 lbs. The fish were all collected on the reefs and round ground that seems to run in ridges between sandy ground - anchoring up might produce better results.

Great to get out...
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby arthurg » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi Kieran,

I've used elastic bands on the weights before but personally find paper clips better. The elastic sometimes makes it difficult to hold bottom and the 'bouncing' can result in tangles. Either one heavy duty, or two (doubled up) ordinary paper clips allows you to have perfect control (with no bounce) but pull free from the weight being trapped.
arthurg

Postby bigcol » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:10 pm

Another tip for the rotten link is to use that plastic coated wire for tying flowers etc.50 metres for 3 euro in woddies.tie it on with 3 or 4 twists and away you go.
col
bigcol
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Records

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:34 am

The 84 lb Tope does not surprise me in the slightest. I have often said I believed that record has been broken many times. I would imagine that sham of a record caught in the 60's - 66 LB 8 oz has been smashed a thousand times. Even from the shore! Big Tope are a lot more common than most anglers realise. Anglers don't tend to kill Tope for weighing as it is generally serious anglers that come in contact with them and have a healthy respect for them... it is the one record alongside that of the blue shark that i would dissmiss as being well inacurate at this stage!
The Dirty Fecker

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports