Cahore 03 April 08

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:44 pm

People: Pat and myself

Duration:1030am - 4pm

Tide:falling

Weather:Flat calm and not a cloud in the sky

Bait:Frozen: Mack, Squid, Crab and Sand eel, Live:Rag worm

Rigs:Various

Results:Pat: Loads of doggies and whiting and a small Bull Huss(not weighed)
Me: Loads of doggies and whiting and a 12lb 2oz Thorn back Ray

Report:Launched at Cahore slip at high water. Green algae on this slip makes launching and retrieving a boat very difficult!
Anyway steamed to the first mark, tide was running very hard. First drop I was using a light setup 2 whiting and a doggie! Happy days!

The action continued in a similar fashion for the following hours. I switched over to the heavy gear then to target a Huss or a Thornie ( up to this point I had never caught a Thornie :oops: ) Hour went by , my half Mack fillets were being hammered by the local Kennel!

I left the rod down on the ratchet then to have a cup of tea, I noticed the rod twitch and slacken. Strange timid bite I thought. I struck into it , damn I had hooked the bottom........no... the bottom doesn't take line when your anchored !!!! :P
The fight was on! rod tip pointing firmly to the sea bed I got the fish to the surface after a couple of Min's without too much drama....a big shadow appeared beside the boat , Holy s*** says Pat, I couldn't see the fish at this stage as i was trying to steer the trace in front of the net.

Too late the fish seen the net , it dived straight for the bottom striping line from the reel to beat the band !!!

It done this a further 3 times !!

We got it in on the 4th surface, I was bet , It tipped the scales at 12lb 2oz still cant believe I caught one :lol:

We changed to a different mark where a sand bank was further off shore. He Pat landed a Huss, it didn't put up much of a scrap, the doggies were kicking harder!

I'm glad we didn't head to Kilmore now 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:32 pm

great report lad nice thornie,ill have some of that soon heading out with daithi when we get a chance,is that carpets new boat or pats

cahore

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi,
great to see such lovely weather at last,and a great days fishing, thats a super thornie for you first ,as you mentioned they can be a great fight with a run of tide!!!
i take it you will be back!,
( Kilmore can be better though!!!!)
regards
screeming

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:41 pm

petewex wrote:great report lad nice thornie,ill have some of that soon heading out with daithi when we get a chance,is that carpets new boat or pats

Well pete,

We were on Pats boat there today.

Good sport up there!

Re: cahore

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

screeming reels wrote:Hi,
great to see such lovely weather at last,and a great days fishing, thats a super thornie for you first ,as you mentioned they can be a great fight with a run of tide!!!
i take it you will be back!,
( Kilmore can be better though!!!!)
regards
screeming

Il be back with bells and whistles :lol:

Yeah Kilmore is great when the weather is settled .

Re: Cahore 03 April 08

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 pm

All fish were returned.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:44 pm

nice couple of fish man fair play great weather to be out. i was out on our own boat today just putting her back in the water after giving her the once over.it was flat calm would of lovin to head out far.

regards

brian

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Looked like a glorious day to be out on the sea :D .

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:17 pm

great report lads.

good to see a few fish about :shock:
and well done on your first of many thornbacks :wink:

i also fish kilmore quite a lot but in my opinion the ray down that way always seem to be much smaller.
not many over double figures .

Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:07 pm

smashin ray mate, well done, nice huss too....

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Cheers for the comments lads,

Myself and carpets went halfs on a Orkney longliner 16ft the weekend.

So we should be postinga bit more in this section!

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:38 pm

well done lads hope the Orkney brings you the luck i had with my Orkney :wink: a good reliable boat

bru

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:45 pm

you didnt buy it in kerry by any chance did ya?

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 am

nialler wrote:you didnt buy it in kerry by any chance did ya?

No Nailler we got her in Wexford.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:35 am

Nice one fella, welcome to the Orkney LL club..... :D Myself, Scotsman and Pete McGroary all have them and for my own part, aside from being unable to whizz to marks at 30 knots, instead, opting for a rather more genteel cruising speed of 8-9, they are great wee boats.

Nice fishing there by the way lads.

Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 pm

petekd wrote:

Nice one fella, welcome to the Orkney LL club..... :D Myself, Scotsman and Pete McGroary all have them and for my own part, aside from being unable to whizz to marks at 30 knots, instead, opting for a rather more genteel cruising speed of 8-9, they are great wee boats.

Nice fishing there by the way lads.

Cheers Pete,

Cant wait to get the boat in the water now.

Il probably be divorced by June :P

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:08 pm

top little boat easy to tow , launch, controll and the ability to get to the shallow water marks with great ease, no messin will be well used in the comming months in all the local marks...