b]Boat[/b]:screeming reels

Crew:myself and dezzer

Date:27 feb

Duration:9 hours

Tide:falling 2 hours flood

Weather:sunny and no wind!!

Bait:mack, crab, rag, squid

Rigs:shrimp rig, t-bars with bling!, flatty flowing traces

Results:11 species, Coalfish, dab, mackerel, poor cod, LSD, grey gurnard, plaice, whiting, ballen wrasse, lesser weaver, Starry Smoothound,

Report:set out on a fantastic morning, with no wind and just a long swell coming in from the s/w.
intention was to try new ground instead of hitting the well known marks.
first couple of ahnchour sessions proved our main problem would be pin whiting, there was just hundreds of the buggers around.
on the way to a deep water mark, just stopped for a drift as many terns were working the water, on my first drop i picked up a lesser weaver,, and Mackerel! yes the place was alive with fresh joey mackerel, all full of v small sandeel.
with a few stocked up for fresh bait, we anhoured again, and we satrted to pick up some dogs, a small grey gurnard, but a real bonus ball for me a nice Starry smouthound!
as the tide slackened we moved towards the conningbeg rock, which was difficult to see for the amount of beam trawlers hammering the area, (see pic) there was six working the same spot!! no wonder all thats left is pin whiting!!
after a few drifts around some rocky spots, where dezzer picked up his ballen, we anchoured for the last hour where i picked up the only fish, a plaice.
Overall, the fishing was very slack, with a multitude of v small fish around,
no wonder with the pressure on that area at the moment, i think it will not be long, before the biggest hooks in the tackle wallet will be 16's!!!!
regards
screeming
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SR

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Well done Martyn & Ed. Nice to see a report, even with small fish! You'd have caught nothing sat at home thinking about it! What would those beamers be chasing? Scary stuff! They say that the bottom would be like a ploughed field after a pass by a beam trawl.

beamers

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi jim,
We watched them for an hour or so, and they were all covering the same area again and again, i think there was a rumour on the VHF that one of the boats might have missed a large cod or something, !!!! cod forbid they might have missed one!!!!!

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:10 pm

thats a dodgy bit of ground too for both boats and nets. great spot. what a waste :cry:

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Aweful waste.... A sign that things are very tight out there... Won't be long now till there is nothing :(

Kev

Kilmore Quay

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Spotted a beam trawler working Ballycotton Bay Tuesday evening/night also.

fia

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:27 pm

the sooner they buy out half the boats at least they be only half the amount,if this is ture.good fishing lads

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:36 pm

hi lads,had a great day out,trying to pick up some tips from screaming,sorry sight to see the 6 or 7 beamers constantly going one direction and then turning and doing it again,one got very close to us,and could see some lads onboard filling some canvas bags,where there were no beamers, there were pots,some only visable when very close to the boat,none with flags,moaning done,great day out,edzzer.....

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:46 pm

I'd be fairly certain that those beamers were targeting scallops. This makes sense if they were fishing the same area constantly. Beam trawlers targeting white fish move quite fast (10-14 knots). Scallopers fish 3 -6 spring dredges each side with the 'beams' keeping them out from the boat. There is a large scallop fleet in the south east.

Caz

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:39 pm

sounds like a good day out cant wait for a tripout in kilmore this year in the new boat.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:11 pm

Those lads are fishing whitefish. Alot of cod being landed from south east at the moment.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Lads
there is a lot of cod being landed by the gillnetters at moment .

Angus

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Its hard to swallow, heart breaking stuff.......