Clare Dragoon, Carrigaholt, 12-Feb-2008

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:23 pm

People:jw, ally, Mac,Brian,self

Duration:9:00 to 17:00

Tide:High thru low water and part of next rise.

Weather:Bloody Marvelous

Bait:Lug, Sandeels, Rag, Crab, Razor, Sardines, Mackeral, Squid???

Rigs:Loads

Results:Pouting, Cookoo Wrasse, Poor Cod, Ling, Pollock, Cod, Dogs, Whiting, Mackeral.... and three octopus.

Report:First boat trip of the new year and a great day out. Fish were slow but spread over the day. JW lost some hell of a fish early-on: believed it was a fish - believed it was the bottom then, as the bottom does not normally come up, realised it was a fish. Brought it up a good distance when it parted company with the hook. More I'm sure later from the others along with pics. Time now for fried cod and mackeral for the supper. :D :D :D

Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 am

Now that was great fishing for the time of year. Were you fishing just within the mouth of the Shannon or did you get out beyond Loop Head?

P

Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:36 am

Now that was great fishing for the time of year. Were you fishing just within the mouth of the Shannon or did you get out beyond Loop Head?

P

We did both Peter, and some places in between.

Our first mark was sort of a line between Loop head and Brandon, about 2 miles south of the Loop. We got pouting and a poor cod there after a while it went quiet and we moved further out. On some marks we got nothing - others were just one or two fish before moving on. We ended up about 8 miles off the Loop. Brandon had disappeared into the mist. I'd say we fished 5 or 6 Marks altogether: the guys can correct me on that. I hit a mackerel - or he hit me - in the afternoon - I would hope the first of the New Year. :D Think species hunt here....

I believe jw might add Bull Huss to the species list as there was confusion on board about a catch of his.

Nasal Flaps: The Lesser Spotted Dogfish has a simple, continuous and touching mouth whereas the Greater Spotted Dogfish has nasal flaps that are separate from each other and from the mouth.

This quote is from Angling Ireland website and jw has the pictures.

Again, as I said, a good trip and good company.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:30 am

I'm so jealous :evil:. I spent most of yesterday looking out at the lovely weather wishing I'd been able to get out with you all....sounds like my imagination was about right :lol:

Nice one lads anyway.

Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:54 pm

well done lads, must have been great being out in that weather, and well done on the mackerel :lol: , any size to the cod?

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 am

nialler wrote:well done lads, must have been great being out in that weather, and well done on the mackerel :lol: , any size to the cod?

It was, for me, great to be out after weeks of crap weather. Think I am going rusty with all this rain.

Re: the cod. I had a fillet off one, courtesy of jw who caught them, and it was 3/4 lb. so you can make a guesstimate from there.

The Skipper, Luke, took the fillets off all the fish and disposed of the head, tail and guts in one clean packet - quite a show and a lesson on how to deal with fish: very little mess.

loop head

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm

loop head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loop head

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:12 pm

loop head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

loop head

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:13 pm

loop head