Greystones

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:15 pm

People:Me

Duration:7am - 11am

Tide:Rising to slack water, an hour ebbing

Weather:Very calm, mild

Bait:Mackeral and Sandeels

Rigs:Shamrock Animal rigs/feathers for macks

Results:4 codling to half a pound, 3 small whiting, 4 macks, more dogs than I can remember and my very first tope

Report:Went out early this morning with the intention of fishing the rising tide, the slack water at the top and about an hour down. Went out about 300 yards off the harbour to catch some macks, which I did on the first drop down. went to about 100 yards from the first buoy that you can see from the beach, anchored up, and fished 2 rods, one with the Animal rig, baited with Mack fillets and head and guts, and the other fished uptide with a sandeel. Got one dog on the sandeel, and had a ton of dogs on the downtide rod. Second drop in the rod started doing a merry dance as soon as it hit bottom, then screamed off. After a struggle for 20 minutes, I finally got the fish close to the boat, it turned out to be my first ever tope :D As you can imagine, I am still buzzing from the capture. Unfortunately, it was a little too large for me to get it into the boat, so I unhooked her in the water, and she swam off strongly. I dont know how much she weighed, but she was about 4 1/2 foot long, so start guessing :D

Unfortunately, I dont have a picture of me posing with the fish, I couldn't get the bloody thing into the boat lol

[img:1278:958]http://www.mcc-comp.com/STA40642.JPG[/img]

[img:1278:958]http://www.mcc-comp.com/STA40640.JPG[/img]

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:02 pm

tope with teeth and RIBS dont mix!
What size rib do you use?I am thinking
of getting one for fishing and touring around.
pat

Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi mate

I couldn't agree more about the tope and ribs dont mix comment :D

It wasn't an intended capture, I suppose I just got lucky. The boat I have is a 2.9m one, and uses a 4hp O/B. It does me for inshore fishing when the weather is good, but I wouldn't dream of going more than say half a mile out or using it during any other conditions than flat calm. I have made a few minor alterations to it, such as using a solid wood floor instead of the slatted one that came with the boat.

Hope this helps
Matt

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:41 pm

dillon we have to organize a meet some time, rip +tope+kayak=good day out.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 pm

I would agree Gazo, I tend to do alot of fishing around greystones, so I could swing by and pick you up on the way :) I would imagine even a small tope you tow you all over the place on the kayak, bu it would be a fight you wouldn't soon forget, indeed I am still smiling at thought of the one I had earlier.

Cheers
Matt

Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Matt,

Was that u I met on the slip yesterday morning?

Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi mate

More than likely. I spoke to a couple of guys before setting out, one was going solo the other with 2 friends. I was getting ready to go just after first light

Cheers
Matt

Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:41 pm

Well done on the Tope anyways, great catch.

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi again

I just saw the pics of your fish from yesterday, and I do recognise you, I was the person you were chatting with yesterday on the slip. Looks like a good day was had by all yesterday.

Cheers
Matt