Duration: 0900-1845

Tide: does strange thing around malin head

Weather: the sea off Donegal is not noted for its placidity, but the day was
ideal for this purpose - gentle swell light easterly breeze force three

Bait: none

Rigs: surface poppers :-)

Results: blank, but one of the most enjoyable trips of the year

Report:

The skipper arrived early and by the arranged depature time we were halfway down Mulroy bay with both caterpillar engines warmed up. I like going to sea in twin engined boats. The reason I like twin engined boats is I don't know anyone with a three engined boat.

The aim was to find the blue fin feeding on a shoal of baitfish they had encircled and driven to the surface so blue fin hunting is a lot about watching the sea birds
and interpreting their behaviour. I will bring binoculars the next time I go. If you had really deep pockets, hire a spotter plane!

We travelled up to north of Malin head without seeing anything. Even feeding the tuna do 5knts, so could move 100 miles in 20 hours, so the real problem is tracking them down.
After that we put out the squid bars and began trolling at slow speed in the hope of a random meeting, though this was unlikely, all the time searching the horizon for the gannets. The gear is amazing, a kilometer of line on the reel. Michael told me a 70lb blue shark took a live mackerel once, but could not bend the rod or pull against the drag! Eventually they noticed the balloon was moving a bit funnily.

The day flew by and it was time to head for home. Charter boat one of the best i've been on and will definately be back looking for the world's top big game fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:59 pm

search
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:16 pm

The boat all to yourself...the life...

Pity no one was able to make it. Personally I think that the Tuna fishing is a bit too hit and miss there to warrent the costs involved, but the blue fins that do move that far north tend to be big and I suppose there is always a chance at the world record.... Personally for me the hours spend for each hookup just aren't worth the costs. I suppose if you would like to do this type of fishing, having to boat to yourself is the best way to go, as it's rare to get a hook up, especially in the last couple of years, so getting 2 would be very rare, so with 2 anglers it's a short straw draw for the blank. :?

Great weather for it though.

Kev

Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:12 pm

I'd've been there, if I wasn't on a plane at the time!

Despite the lack of fish, it sounds like it was a good day out all in all.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:37 pm

i've just found the best christmas tree ever :shock:

[img]http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/album_mod/upload/tackle_108.jpg[/img]

:lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:17 am

thats one big reel :shock:

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:19 pm

Jesus, Christmas coming…

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:27 pm

That is some real where do ya put the batteries!!!!

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 pm

KK wrote:That is some real where do ya put the batteries!!!!

can you not see the power cable attaching it to the boats power supply :roll: :lol:

must be a **insert profanity here** to cast :twisted:

Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:27 am

Jesus lads does anyone know where i could get a cheep Tuna set up ???

Was out yesterday in the Knotty Buoy and seen a huge shoal of Blue Finn off the mouth of the swilly, it truly was a sight for sore eyes :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers Danny

Swilly Tuna

Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Hay danny, if you had a tin opener with you, you could have had some tuna for lunch
Kev

tuna

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:30 pm

i would like to know how you get the squid to swim in formation like that!
have to agree, done a lot of trolling in various parts of the world, its bl....y boring for the most part, BUT, you just never know when the big one might hit the lure, and thats the draw, if you dont try, you will never hook up to the potential fish of a lifetime!!
screeming

Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:37 pm

done the same as screaming, and will always remember once in the red sea the reel emptying and a 80lb rod bent over, makes me want to go back, thankfully we got other fish that day including tuna

Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:02 pm

nice to get out allright
got a small porbeagle with michael mcv b4 while fishing live macks for tuna. it swam around all the lines that were out and we had to hand line it in!!!

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Pity you at least didn't get to see them John, stunning fish and absolutely amazing sight when you get close to them. Was out with Adrian Molloy four years ago and came close to three different feeding groups, mackerel and saury jumping out like little fry to avoid them.....large bluefins would then come charging clean out of the water trying to catch them. Be worth going again just to see them even if you didn't fish.