Wanderin' Star, Portrush, 15/09/07

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:30 pm

People: 9 Members of Millisle Sea Anglers

Duration: 10am - 4pm

Tide: Fast, 2.7knts at times.

Weather: SW wind, No rain, moderate swell.

Bait: Rag, Mack, Squid, Lug

Rigs: Spoons, Jigs, Flowing Traces, Leadheads, 1up2down, 2down... etc etc...

Results: Whiting, Pouting, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Dogfish, Pollack, Coalfish, Ballan Wrasse, Cuckoo Wrasse, Mackeral, Scad.

Report:
Well, my 3rd trip with my new club and we got a good variety of species, First stop mackeral, I think we had about four! and a couple of scad to boot.

Next the club comp started and we hit some sand banks immediately got into whiting and gurnards, with a few measurable fish, Including a new PB whiting for me at 38cm.

The speed of the drift picked up to unbearable and the skipper suggested a move to an outlet where he'd picked up some coalies the day before. Sadly the drift once again inhibited us from fishing to full potential.

So back to the sand, and a slower drift, But basically the same standard of fishing, which didn't seem set to improve.

The Skipper played his trump card and suggested a move to the Skerries which definitely paid off, Plenty of Wrasse, Pollack and Coalies made the day a lot more interesting a hectic 2 hours and it was time to head for home.

Congrats to D McCormick who won the comp.

Afterwards it was a dash to the Yacht club for some brief liquid refreshment. Before the Club dispersed and we went for a big steak in the Royal Hotel! Oh what a day! 8) 8) :D :) :) :lol:

Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:19 pm

nice fishing drew and nice whiting by the way, i want a biggy!! nothing like a big steak and beverage to finish off the day. :)

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:49 pm

what a surprise.Mr.McCormick wins. again. :roll: