Kilmore Quay - 6th & 7th Sept

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:25 pm

People:46 others and myself

Duration:Lines down at 11pm and finish at 4pm

Tide:

Weather:Indian summer stuff. Amazing, flat calm and hot

Bait:Ragworm & mackerel

Rigs:Three hook down, 1 up 2 hook down, two hook jelly trace, various small shrimper rigs

Results:43 fish on the comp day not sure on practise day- pouting, poor cod, codling, thornback ray, tub gurnard, dab, ling, pollock, mackerel, ballan wrasse, cuckoo wrasse.

Report:Drove down weds night to get a days practise in before the inter-agency comp on the Friday. We headed out on the Inishfree with Billy Bates and with only four of us onboard it was a real pleasure. Lots of variety and the rough ground out beyond the Saltees seemed to be alive with fish of all sorts. It was pretty much a bite a drop and while nothing too big came up it was still enjoyable. The pollock though proved really difficult to find and even though I was jellying for a good while I couldn't get a single fish. The seals i must say were a pain in the ass anywhere close to the rocks and at least three times I would in a fish head, the body having been severed just behind the gills :o

The day of the comp was even better again, even by 10am it was really warm....was beginning to regret the two bottles of wine the night before :P Boats departed at 10am and we headed to the sand, it was agreed that all boats would fish the sand for the first two hours. Fishing was difficult but managed to gather together a half dozen dabs, some tiny whiting, a tub and a small thornback. It was relaxing fishing as there was plenty of time between bites so there was a fair bit of banter going around.

At 1pm though the boats all headed to the rough and thats were the relaxation ended. Fish came thick and fast, mainly cuckoo, poor cod and pouting but a few good ling and ballans also showed up. It was really hard going and the last half an hour was frantic knowing that you were running out of time. I did get my pollock quota though in this last half hour as we drifted very close to a half submerged rock.

Was knackered by the time lines up were shouted but half to say it was a very enjoyable day out. Fishing was good, weather was brillant and even got to see porpoises, common dolphins and even two rissos dolphins. Was really impressed with the quality of the fishing down here too, surprised even. I'd even say with your own small boat you could have some superb sport.

Anyhow at prize giving that even our four man team took second out of a total of 12 agencies and I even managed 2nd overall myself, so happy enough :) . Got on the road that night at 11.30pm and was back in Donegal Town by 3.40pm, dont think the clock dropped below 120kms the whole way :lol:

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:53 pm

Well done Pete, that was pretty good fishing against some pretty handy anglers (myself not included of course). Great day out, still gutted at losing that huss so close to the boat, would have been my first. :evil:

Hope you enjoyed the drive home, we were still singing (or strangling a cat) at 3.40 a.m. but unfortunately they wouldn't give us any more drink! :D

Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:56 am

Shame to loose him Kev, just broke the dropper then?
As for having to leave.....pis..ed off, pis..ed off having to sit having dinner with a glass of water while you lads were hammering pints into you too :evil: It was a good night then by the sounds of it!

Thanks also to the lads on the site that helped me out with info/tips bout Kilmore, made a difference :wink: .

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 am

pete wrote:Shame to loose him Kev, just broke the dropper then?
As for having to leave.....pis..ed off, pis..ed off having to sit having dinner with a glass of water while you lads were hammering pints into you too :evil: It was a good night then by the sounds of it!

Thanks also to the lads on the site that helped me out with info/tips bout Kilmore, made a difference :wink: .

Was fishing a double spreader - both snoods gone AND the lead, but got the spreader bar back! :?
Was a good night alright, good to catch up with some people for the annual drinking competition and a bit of fishing... at least I kept up my end on the drinking :D

Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Blasted shame about the huss, was talking to some of the UK lads in the small boats and they had said they were picking up a lot whilst anchored up.

You were in good form when i was leaving alright, did you get your end away with that fat chick you were talking to at the bar :?: