Cork Small Boats Festival 2004.

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Postby JimC » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:24 pm

27th –30th September ’04.

Twenty seven boats from Ireland, England, Wales and Scotland competed in the Small Boats Festival this year. The event was a resounding success due to good weather conditions and good fishing. The main event, the three-day species hunt, produced some fine fish. There were thirty-four species of fish caught in total over the four days (not including the usual baitfish and sharks). There was some new additions to the species list namely: red mullet, golden grey mullet and painted ray. There were a number of specimen fish captured including, dab, rockling and lesser-spotted dogfish.

Competitors fished for a total prize fund of over €7000.00.
Posn Name Species Weight
1 Uptide Girl 23 68.55
2 Merlyn 22 71.55
3 Skua 22 67.65
4 Highlander 21 65.85
5 Fifty Fifty 20 71.30
6 Bass Hunter 20 61.05
7 Predator II 20 57.30
8 YYY Men 20 52.20
9 Quicksilver 18 52.65
10 Stryker II 16 49.20[/list]
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Congratulations Jim

Postby bigkev » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:42 pm

Congratulations Jim
Another fine result for skua. But whats this about fine weather, its been a bit blowy for weeks hasnt it?
Still enjoying the "Irish Angler" articles as well
Kev
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Weather

Postby JimC » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:25 pm

Howya Kev!
The weather was very good. We didn't have to restrict boats to the harbour. The week previous was crap, but we were haunted with our week as this week is back to crap again. The good weather opened up the smiths and the ling rocks to all boats and made some species easy enough to pick up. All in all it was a splendid event. Thirty four species is a huge haul especially when one considers that all but four or five are available within the harbour.

Get yourself sorted out for next year, you have plenty notice!!
Jim.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Comp

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:21 pm

Nice report Jim. Still, a pity more Irish boats don't make the trip since the Brits seem to be able to make the effort. If I had something to pull my boat with I would love to get involved just for the experience... :shock:
The Dirty Fecker

Postby MAC » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:51 pm

Luke,

Do you have a trailer for you boat? I'll tow it for you next year if you teach me the fine art of boat fishing :D

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Towing my boat

Postby The Dirty Fecker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:15 pm

I do have a trailer. I have two of the damn things! Cork is just such a far away place... Towing a boat that distance is no joke. I would want to be sure my bearings were up to the job and the boat was fully supported propperly. Boats can get damaged on trailers on bad roads over long distances. My current railer was origionally built for the boat i have now. Unfortunately it was also modified to better fit my first boat. Basicly the trailer needs to be resized to fit the Norman 20 all over again! :roll: Silly state of affairs but there you go... Boats like Jims have a great advantage in that they have Roller Coaster trailers which make retreival a piece of cake. Getting my boat back on the trailer is a little more difficult and time consuming. She is big at 20 ft and a pretty heavy boat. At the moment this suits me as I moor my boat over the summer and only have to trailer it twice a season. I hope one day to get a roller coaster built to fit that boat with an electric winch but these are all just dreams. First you need the money to buy one of those nice new shiny 4 X 4's Jim keeps showing off in 'Irish Angler' :D :D :D
The Dirty Fecker

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports