L'Emmerdeur. Union Hall, 31-Jul to 2nd August.

Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:26 pm

People:Self, Son, others

Duration:3-4 hours+

Tide:Rising

Weather:Calm first day, breezy 2nd and 3rd.

Bait:Hookia, Feathers, Mackeral,

Rigs:

Results:Mackeral and Pollock,

Report:Brought the boat to Cork for the holiday and eventually got her launched in Union Hall. Tried 2 other places but one you could only launch at high tide (1/2 hour either side) and the other you need a tractor to push the boat & trailer across the shale. Union Hall you can launch from 3 hours either side of high tide.

After getting everything ready went out to the back of Adam Island and began to drift. Mackeral started coming after a while and we soon had enough for bait. Decided to fish for the pot as we'd had no fresh mackeral this year. Soon had enough but realised that it was now fairly late and some people needed to get back ashore.

That night all the mackeral were cooked and eaten. Savages!!!!!

The next day myself and my son went out and again went for macks. Soon had a dozen or so and we moved to a reef looking for pollock. The fish came in fits and starts. Most small but some were up to 3-4 lbs. Took some pics with the camera but when we got home it refused to 'boot up' and it's still not working. I did get a couple of pics on the phone and have attached them.

Anyway, the pollock came, sometimes 2 or 3 at a time. After, we put some mackeral strips on the hooks and tried for other fish, but no luck.

Next day. took the boat around to Sandscove where I was given the use of a mooring. I was thinking of entering the competition there on the Saturday (4th) but everything is brought in - most of it is cooked in a street barbeque/party on the night of the competition, but I was a bit reluctant to get involved.

Anyway, on Friday there was a gale warning and the boats had to be brought up on to the beach. My boat weighs in around 800Kg (I was told) and it took 8 of us to get it on the trailer (with the aid of an electric winch) and then it took a tractor to haul it up the beach.

Launching again was a problem. Everytime I went to there was a change in the weather predicted. In the end I sorting a permanent mooring in Union Hall. Where I will keep the boat during the season. So, it will be Cork fishing for me from now on.

Though this was someone's joke 'til it screamed.

Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:02 am

Nice to get out all the same..... Seemd like you had some half decent fishing. Nice report.

Looks like someones pet got loose :shock: Strange sight.

Kev